(social science PhD) supv wants to see raw data

A

OMG, I'm well into my write up and my supv has asked to see some of my raw data - is this normal, has it happened to anybody else, should I be worried???

The thoughts of him reading some of my awkwardly phrased questions makes me cringe. At least he didn't ask to listen to the tapes - he won't do that, will he ?:-( ?

Hi,

I can't help you with your problem as I am still in year one - sorry.

But I can sooo identify with your worry!! I did interviews for my MA dissertation and it was painful re-reading the transcripts!! - the amount of times I said um, asked double questions, had to restate what I meant or ended a question with "or?"!!

I'm glad my supervisor didn't ask to see them! I think interviewing well is a skill that can take a while to acquire - as long as you can identify what parts were good/bad - at least you can learn from them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - Good luck!!

J

I've often wondered whether supervisors ever ask this, Ady! I just convinced myself mine would be too busy to ever want to listen to my recordings or anything. But I did forward some transcriptions, complete with all my awkwardly phrased questions and poor grammar a few weeks ago to my supervisor at the end of a document about my methods. I would say there's really nothing to be worried about Ady. I’m not sure why he’s asking but you've got your write up to concentrate on so I guess just send it on and get on with your work and don't give that a second thought because no-one speaks properly (that's one thing I've discovered about myself and virtually everyone out there while doing these interviews!). I would highly doubt he’d ever want the recordings. Hope someone else can give you more insight :-)

E

Both my supervisors have all my transcriptions (they didn't want to listen to the recordings because they were in Greek and they don't undrestand greek anyway).
I don't think it is something bad. They were aware of how I got on with my analysis and they gave me some really nice ideas about what to do with my material.

K

Hey Ady! I am well into my write-up and my sup wants my raw data (quantitative) as well. I don't think it's anything to worry about- my sup probably just wants a copy for her records, or maybe she wants to have a little play around with it to see if there are any other analyses that might be relevant. I don't think it's anything to be worried about. My sup doesn't have copies of my interviews or transcriptions from my qualitative study, but she did look at the first three transcriptions to give me feedback on my interview technique. I am guessing before I finish she will probably ask for a copy of all the transcriptions though- she likes to have copies of everything! I wouldn't stress at all- I don't think he's trying to catch you out or anything! Best, KB

A

Thanks all, I'm being stupid, I know :$. Knowing him, he probably will have a few good insights and ideas for analysis as well so it will all be for the good. He just wants a selection so have bitten the bullet and just emailed him 10 which hopefully will keep him happy.

My sup has seen my raw qual data -she had to as she needed to train me on the analysis technique I was using. She's not asked for my quant, but its becoming more common for journals in my field to ask for you to send your data in when you submit an article, so people can re-analyse it. That freaks me out a bit. Imagine if someone put in another paper titled " A comment on Sneaks (2010) - she messed up the stats!"