sooo very tired.....

C

Ouch! I'm so tired it hurts. Who would have thought a PhD would be so tiring? ...and I don't even feel like I even do that much anyway...

I guess that fur trimed gown and lovely bound thesis don't come easy...

*sobs*

In fact, I can be barely be bothered to cook...I think I'm just going to eat a packet of rich tea biscuits...one by one..
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

N

I'm also sooooo exhausted. In addition to the struggle of my 1st PhD week I've had loads of freelance work to do during the last 3 days (but of course this helps me paying my PhD!). Mmmmm I think I'll spend the rest of the day lying in my bed and watching DVDs.

C

Ditto. At least working in a library I can cadge some personal reading and listen to my walkman whilst photocopying.

G

Do you get many opportunities for freelance work when studying a PhD ? Is it generally through the University or off your own back ?

I am not doing one yet, but would like to soon !

N

No, it has nothing to do with my university or department - I had been doing some casual freelance work in translation/communication for years and thought that if I got some more while doing my PhD it could pay my living costs (my scholarships covers only my tuition fees).

Being in a Humanities subject and hence not having regular hours also helps to combine both things.

C

Unfortunately the department I am registered in doesn't take undergrads: only MA students and PhD's. So in my first year I am unable to teach or mark: it would have been a defacto condition of my fees studentship- but the university absolved me of it since my department effectively can't have me teach

I have thought about tutoring school age students privately: but to be honest, I only flowered in education post 18- so I don't think parents are going to want me to tutor their kids in 'A' Levels and GCSE's when mine were only average

C

Thanks...I'll do a bit of digging around and see what turns up...

lol Bibi, re: selling myself. Hmmm since starting this PhD the constant snacking and grazing whilst reading/ and for comfort, is taking its toll on my hitherto trim frame....my body is becoming increasingly less *ahem* marketable.

B

Hi (first post...) - also tired. As to the teaching idea... Well, I teach full-time (secondary) and am studying for my PhD part-time and, here I am, one year in and it feels like my PhD is going down the drain. Any tips for kick-starting myself (currently wallowing in the mires of methodology) most welcome!

Bibi, one tip I had with writing mountains was to 'see what's in front of you' rather than 'what lies ahead of you'. Dunno, maybe it'll help. Something like take one chunk at a time.

D

I'm really tired and I finished my PhD about four weeks ago. But I'm still knackered. Think I need to go on a four year sabatical. Maybe to a plentifully supplied desert island