Sources for travel funds

S

Hello everyone,
I AM NOT ASKING FOR MONEY JUST ADVICE!! My supevisor have said that I should try and get some money for travel costs for presenting at a conference in Asia and said I may be able to get some from my funding body or other society. I have tried these but to no avail and was wondering if anyone knows of any other potential sources, I am studing a civil engineering related PhD. He said that he can get the money anyway but that it is a good idea to be able to show on your CV an ability to apply for some sort of funds.

Has anyone else managed to do this or advice on places to search for funding to cover such costs. I have looked about a bit but feel some sources are likely to be not well advertised.

Hope this makes sense and I am not posting just because I am afraid of abit of hard work ;)

S

Hi - I'm not in engineering but I've managed to part-fund a very expensive conference trip (to the US for a week) with a mixture of money from my research institute, and from the conference itself. But you supervisor is right - it always looks better if you can get funding from external sources. For example, if you are funded by one of the research councils, they normally offer certain additional funding for travel. I also use (although not sure this applies in your case!!!) the Federation of Women Graduates.