Speaking your mind

B

I was at a big design meeting the other day, and people were consistently pushing an idea that is trendy, but very illogical. When it was my turn to speak, I spoke my mind. It was apparently a touchy subject because many people around got very defensive about it. Frankly, I knew it would be touchy, but it had to be said. I wouldn't have slept well that night if I didn't get it off my chest.

However, the some of the people that were there could be my future employers. Given that I am normally quiet, they're going to remember me for being a negative sh!t disturber.

Has anyone else been in a situation where they strongly disagreed with a superior? Is it better to swallow your thoughts or let them out?

D

I always have the greatest respect for those that speak their mind but it can lead to difficulties (I should know from my own experiences). What's done is done and hopefully if you argued your points well it should set you in good stead. I like to think it shows passion but not everyone thinks like me

:-(

R

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a popular viewpoint, as long as you argued your case logically and weren't rude. In work situations I've sometimes argued against bizarre ideas from senior staff, but if they choose to go their own merry way after having potential problems drawn to their attention, there's not a lot you can do. The annoying thing is that these ideas are often proved to be ridiculous in practice somewhere along the line, but usually after lots of time and money has been wasted (or someone gets electrocuted in our case). I think it's better to have said your piece than kept quiet if you felt that strongly. Perhaps the majority trendy idea will run its course and then your suggestions will become noticed for being far better alternatives at some point!

I wouldn't worry about what potential employers might think, after the touchiness has worn off they might even respect you for proposing an alternative view if you did it well. You can't agree with everyone all the time and learning how to argue a case seems to be part of doing PhDs, so it would be nice if it was useful occasionally.

G

A few years ago I organised a big meeting with suppliers of an expensive piece of kit, all manner of people were booked to attend including my technical director and business group manager. The time was set for the afternoon and I left the site to work in a facility 10 miles away. I later got a phone call from the secretary telling me to get back because I was late for the meeting! I wasn't, the group manager had changed the time and not told me. I was meant to be chairing the meeting. I arrived, made my apologies and sat down, the group manager was chair and as I sat down looking around trying to read name badges, the manager said "Graham will now give us a presentation on .. " Completely unplanned, completely undiscussed with me! I ad-libbed as best I could and the meeting progressed.

When it was all over I marched up to him outside his office within a huge open plan research centre, looked up at him (he's a tall chap) and calmly said words to the effect of "what the hell do you think you were playing at back there?" He was taken aback and made excuses about challenging me (which I guess was true), then push forward all my work deadlines. I was later told that action impressed him greatly, which may have been instrumental in securing a longer-term contract. The company had problems anyway so I didn't go back .. yes I was an undergraduate on work placement. 8-)

B

Great story, Graham! If only everyone were that cool!

M

Quote From rubyw:

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a popular viewpoint, as long as you argued your case logically and weren't rude. In work situations I've sometimes argued against bizarre ideas from senior staff, but if they choose to go their own merry way after having potential problems drawn to their attention, there's not a lot you can do. The annoying thing is that these ideas are often proved to be ridiculous in practice somewhere along the line, but usually after lots of time and money has been wasted (or someone gets electrocuted in our case). I think it's better to have said your piece than kept quiet if you felt that strongly. Perhaps the majority trendy idea will run its course and then your suggestions will become noticed for being far better alternatives at some point!

I wouldn't worry about what potential employers might think, after the touchiness has worn off they might even respect you for proposing an alternative view if you did it well. You can't agree with everyone all the time and learning how to argue a case seems to be part of doing PhDs, so it would be nice if it was useful occasionally.

Someone got electrocuted??

R

Yes Melsie, but he didn't die or get seriously injured luckily, just shot across the room and flopped on the floor. Dodgy wiring, semi-darkness, no heating, asbestos exposure, plus general dirt and filth. A management master plan that changed direction after my colleague's shock, though I doubt the students had any idea of how us staff had to work behind the scenes! We should have got the union and HSE in earlier.

P

Why cant I understand the last two posts even after reading this entire thread v v carefully...??

:(

R

It may not be you, Bug.... I've not been very lucid this weekend, so it might just be incomprehensible and Melsie has psychic powers that helped her unravel it.

M

Quote From rubyw:

Yes Melsie, but he didn't die or get seriously injured luckily, just shot across the room and flopped on the floor. Dodgy wiring, semi-darkness, no heating, asbestos exposure, plus general dirt and filth. A management master plan that changed direction after my colleague's shock, though I doubt the students had any idea of how us staff had to work behind the scenes! We should have got the union and HSE in earlier.

That sounds awful Ruby, I'm glad he's ok. Is the situation sorted now?

P

i have read this thread amny times now. And I have NO idea what's happening here....how did the wiring and death and electric shocks and etc come about...and how can anyone figure THAT out from what your wrote rubyw?

maybe i should leave it, but I am too intrigued...

R

Well Bug, it was a situation where once there was a trendy management plan that was a bit illogical to us underlings, it went ahead and bad things happened. It showed why it's a good idea to speak up sometimes in opposition to these ideas, even if it's not a popular view AND gets ignored AND you feel like a big moaner, as sometimes the sensible view gets proved to be the best option, albeit a bit late in the day and after a very angsty time is had by all concerned.

Melsie, yes it's ok thanks, though the memories do make an ex-colleague turn purple at the very thought, even now! We're hoping the next ambitious major project is carried out a bit better....