spreadsheet/database help

L

I'm a complete novice with spreadsheets and excel or access so bear with me!

I'm looking to set up a database (or spreadsheet) with all the documents that I read for my thesis (I'm an Eng student). I would like to be able to sort and resort the data when clicking on the title of each column - so click on date to sort it chronologically, or click on title to sort it alphabetically etc.

Could anyone help me please?! I'm sure its so obvious!

S

hi larrydavid
which spreadsheet do u want to use?
I read here you want to set up a database of all the documents you have read.
This is easy, you don't have to use a spreadsheet or excel!

Use a Referencing Software (for example End notes, RefWorks, citation software), just learn that up first, once you know it will be very easy for the rest of your thesis-reading.

For example, you could have your documents alphabetically arranged, or arranged by date, and also you could put them in folders or select VIEW ALL REFERENCES just with a click of the mouse.

You'll have to also learn the syntax in case you need to enter the references manually. This is important but if you do it right the first time, then the rest is easy.

From your referencing software, they can also do SEARCH for you, then export the citation to your account. Its quite simple. Dont use excel or spreadsheet.

satchi

S

oops I forgot to say also:
this will be a good time to get in touch with your university librarian for a session on how to use your university referencing programme/software/whichever they are providing.

Once you have been taught, the rest is easy :-)

goodnight
satchi

L

Is it just how to sort that you need help with? There is a sort option in both Excel 2003 and 2007 - I've only got access to 2007 just now and with that you go to the data tab, and then "sort", and choose the column you want to sort the data by and whether you want it ascending or descending. I can't remember where it is in 2003 now - "tools" or something like that.

Sorry if that's not what you're asking, I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning so I'm probably missing the point completely :$

P

I completely agree with Satchi, Spreadsheet is old news for what you are trying to achieve. Speak to you uni library. They should have full access to either End Notes, RefWorks (or similar) and most unis have training courses on how to use these too.

It will take a couple of days to get used to it, but will save you so much time in future

A

just to add to the others, there's also open source referencing software, i.e. downloadble for free, for example JabRef. It's expecially useful if you're using LaTeX, I'm not sure how compatible it is with Word (compatible in terms of automatically generating the bibliography according to the style you need it) but if you are only looking for a database it's suitable in any case.

It's downloadable here: http://jabref.sourceforge.net/