Starting at 38

G

I will be starting my PhD next year. By that time I will be 38 years old. This means I might finish when I am 42. Is that too late? Will I be able to pursue an academic/research career after I finish? Moreover, will other students find it funny?
(I have several years of experience in Info Tech.)
Thanks
Me

G

Dear Starter, I can comprehend your feeling as I'm 34 years old and, after 7 years working experience in dairy field, I would like to start PhD studies too. An Irish Postdoc told me that, even I'm a little older than many of the students applying for postgraduates studie, I have the experience often lacking in them. Knowing how to plan, perform, realize and publish research projects is a great advantages on my side that younger workers don't have. So feel confident you will get the goal.

G

Firstly you do have time to have a decent academic career. More importantly you want to do a Ph.D so just go for it. I (at 23) think it is pretty brave and would admire someone for doing what you are doing. Certainly not funny, just go and do it (and enjoy it!)

G

If your not too concerned about the finanical side of things and are looking to do a PhD in order to break into academia, don't worry about the age thing right now. However, I would look at what the main funding bodies for your field have to say, as you don't want to reach the end of your degree and find out that post-docs are not available for those over 40. Other side of things, get your PhD and move back into IT in consulting etc

G

Don't worry about it! we have an older post-doc who has only just started and he is way older than 42!!

G

don't worry about it!!!! In fact u are normal... i am 22 and am the youngest in my group cos i didn't do masters...it feels strange but u will be fine.

G

Go for it - I'm 43 and just starting the 3rd year of my history degree. I intend to go on and ultimately do a PhD to follow an academic career - I've had nothing but positive feedback from friends and other academics - if you can swallow the possible financial implicaions of, at worst case, having to fund yourself dont worry.

G

Thanks for the encouraging remarks.

G

I've just started a 4 year PhD and celebrated my 44th birthday last week... I've heard various stories about difficulties getting post-docs because of age, then again my supervisor and other academics I've spoken to have said it shouldn't be a problem... As Mr. Blair plans to raise the UK retirement age to 70 you'd be much less than half-way through your working life!

G

If you really wanna study, just do it! Who cares how old you are...
Make the most of your age, whatever it is... It's never too late to do something that you wanna do.
All my best...