Starting at Oxford

F

Hi All,

Don't worry, don't worry this is NOT another post about whether I should go to Oxbridge for my PhD just for the prestige - I have already made my decision to go and study Systems Biology - go Systems woo.

Just wandered if there were anyone with insider info that could give me some info on accommodation - i.e. typically speaking, how expensive is it each month, any tips about the best areas to stat, also would it be worth giving Halls a whirl

Any help much appreciated - Cheers

p.s. anyone looking for flatmates or someone to share with for the next academic year at Oxford then - you know - having me around means you will be down with all the cool kids in systems biology - you can't ask for much more than that really.

R

Are you not going to get college accommodation? Most colleges offer college accommodation for first year grad students. I think it defeats the purpose of the the collegiate sytem at Oxbridge if you live outside your college. My advice is if you want to have fun in your first year and meet lots of interesting people then move into college accommodation. It usually costs around 65-100 pounds a week depending on the size of room and facilities you get.

Im starting in Oxford in October and ill be moving in college accommodation if they provide it.

J

You should be given the chance of getting a college room. Consider yourself unlucky if you don't. As you are a newbie to Oxford, college accommodation is probably the cheapest and the best way to meet new people. Singles accommodation in Oxford is highly variable and generally costly.

E

Hi fox,

I'm not starting in Systems Biology at Oxford but will be studying the same area in London.

What background are you from (Life Sciences? Maths? Computing?)

ejc x

Y

I've been worried about some fo the rules and restrictions surrounding collegiate accommodation at Oxford.

Sometimes it sounds like you're going "back to school", with a set of stringent and strict regulations and restrictions and whatnot, "lights out time", "Can I have my friends stay over?", "doors locked", etc

Saying that - I've also heard it's a different set of rules for Postgrads. *shrugs*

J

I don't think anyone cares about the rules really ...

as long as you dont disappear for the whole term and go on holiday to the alps and besides most postgrads live in private accommodation so there are no rules.