starting phd- extremely nervous, any advice?

C

I have just completed my masters and have just been accepted to transfer to the second year of a PhD (in English Lit.) Although I am very excited about doing a PhD and feel very confident about my topic/research, I am a nervous person and still get quite intimidated by supervisors/ speaking in seminars etc/ being asked questions in presentations etc. I was wondering if anyone else doing a PhD had the same problem, I am going to a conference in September and i am really nervous about it (although i am not even presenting). Also, I will be taking undergraduate tutorials next year and even this terrifies me! Any advice? I'm starting to wonder if I should take a year off to grow up a bit.. (I'm only 22)

D

Hi, a bit out of the main topic: I wonder do you still get your degree certificate for completion of your masters degree b4 transferring to your 2nd year of PhD?

J

I am a very nervous person too. I am in the 3rd year of my PhD now and I have found it difficult especially giving talks, going to new places and meeting ppl. However I think that the only way to reduce the nerves is to actually do stuff like that. I am giving a talk tomorrow at a conference and I am terrified about it, but it has got better, I no longer can't sleep for wks before the talk!

C

Dantheboi - No, I won't be getting the certificate for my masters, i think it might be different at different universities or for different subjects though. I am doing literature at Edinburgh. Hope that helps.
Jen - thanks for your advice and good luck in your presentation!

C

While I'm here, any other PhD students from Edinburgh?

B

I agree with Jen. I used to be terrified of asking questions in seminars etc., but I forced myself to try, and the more I tried the easier it got. Also with talks I used to get myself through it by thinking in ** hours it will be over. Really helped me. But you do need to push yourself out of your comfort zone. It will become easier with time.

C

Ok thanks, nice to know that other people have the same problem. I think one of the main problems is that most people in my field are so articulate, where as I just get tongue tied and flustered. I'm sure it will get easier though.