Statistical knowledge for PhD

P

Hi , I have got a couple of offers for PhD . But I am not very confident in statistics . I have only basic knowledge of statistics. Will that be a problem during my PhD ....will the supervisors help during data analysis or will it be my sole responsibility? Nervous and confused whether to accept or reject the offer .

P

We don't know how much you will be reliant on statistics from your question. If statistics will be heavily needed throughout your project you wouldn't have been offered the position given your statistical knowledge. However, if you only need statistics now and then, you will be fine since you can learn these as you progress through your PhD. Most universities (good ones) provide statistical workshops tailored to the needs of specific disciplines and the internet is rife with resources as well. Your supervisor may or may not know anything about statistics (if say he/she is a chemist) but he/she surely should be able to point you to the right direction.

P

Quote From PhDhere:
We don't know how much you will be reliant on statistics from your question. If statistics will be heavily needed throughout your project you wouldn't have been offered the position given your statistical knowledge. However, if you only need statistics now and then, you will be fine since you can learn these as you progress through your PhD. Most universities (good ones) provide statistical workshops tailored to the needs of specific disciplines and the internet is rife with resources as well. Your supervisor may or may not know anything about statistics (if say he/she is a chemist) but he/she surely should be able to point you to the right direction.

Thnx ... gud to know there r statistical workshops