stepping on peoples toes

S

Hi. I am seven months into my 4 year PhD (a sort of masters and phd combi), and I am finding it hard to 'ask for help' as I seem to keep on annoying people and getting in their way. My first attempts at asking one student to shadow her analysis ended abruptly as I was asking too many questions, even though I thought it was at an appropriate moment. Then when I try to use my own experience at designing a very basic practice run of the analysis, this also back fires as it is slightly different from the normal procedure at my new university. I have been 'advised' that everyone is very busy and not to ask too many questions (or so it feels) and then I get told off for not telling everyone my plans. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it? Thanks for any help or support you can give. C

D

Hi,

I'm not sure of the set-up. Does your PhD make a contribution to a wider project and do you work as part of a team?

Anyway, I feel for you as it sounds as though it's a pretty uncomfortable atmosphere.

S

Hi,
Thanks for responding so quickly! Unfortunately the students which can advise me are not doing similar research although they are under the same co-supervisor, so I can see that helping me would be out of the 'goodness of their hearts'. The only guy which is doing similar work is due to finish writing up in September. He has a baby and has a sarcastic sense of humour with no time for daft questions really. Believe me I have tried my best at approaching him at the right time, but I always get the feeling that I am annoying him by asking questions, even simple ones!

D

If you feel the need to ask questions they are not 'daft' questions because you want to learn and need answers. Please don't let this zap your confidence.

Keeping people informed of your plans. Use meetings to do this and send a relatively regular email to those that need to know. Don't overdo the emails but send ones detailing your plans.

If you can spare the time, ask if you can help them in any way, it might make them more receptive to helping you. However, be assertive and only do this if you can spare the time.

Without giving too much about yourself away, could you let us know a bit about your study because it could be that you could find someone on here to bounce ideas of.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope things pick up for you.

S

I know that these are all the right answers to my questions, its amazing how much better you feel when someone else gives you support! I think short and to the point emails updating my plans will probably be better received after this episode as they will see the reason for them. I have already offered to help out the first student where I was shadowing the analysis but she declined saying that she had already done the tasks where I could of helped, and has made no mention of any future plans. So I think I will stick with the post-doc who is helping me at the moment as I think she is less stressed out than the others. Hopefully I will not make her more stressed! I think I just needed someone to tell me that this was a minor problem, and that the phd environment can exacerbate emotions.
I am researching into 'metal uptake in plants as a herbivore defence strategy and its tri-trophic interactions' Feel free to ask me any questions.
How are things going with yourself?

D

"I think I just needed someone to tell me that this was a minor problem"

Not a minor problem if it's making you feel bad but I totally agree that "the phd environment can exacerbate emotions" which is understandable, but not particularly helpful when it impacts on people such as yourself.

OK. I'll be completely honest, I would need a dictionary to understand some of the words in the title of your PhD (I'm being serious) and so I'd be absolutely no help but hopefully someone on here might read the thread and be able to advise...

Just a thought but have you tried a Google search for people that share this interest or for forums where it might be discussed?

I'm at the application stage and was stressed yesterday with the waiting but am relieved to know that I will not be getting funding. Feels better to know than to be waiting. The waiting was just too much...

S

Sorry I tried to simplify it. Tri-trophic means across 3 levels of the food chain - usually plant - herbivore - natural enemy of the herbivore. I have had a little look into other forums but have not spent much time on it, maybe that would be worthwhile procrastination! Oh I really feel for you about waiting for replies - it makes your whole life feel like it is stood still! My condolences for not getting funding though, have you got any other offers? I would not like to do a phd without funding!

D

Thanks. I do feel much better for knowing and am only upset about the lack of co-operation given in trying to get answers - there was really no need for it, in my opinion, as the department have known for some time.

I wouldn't do a PhD without funding, as I know I wouldn't stick with it and would spend more time worrying about the money side of things.

Now get on with your work!

S

Then maybe you should feel good about not going to that university as if the admin staff and profs are not helpful enough to let you know asap, then you may have had problems in other areas. I have also found that ringing up admin people rather than emailing them can provide a much clearer picture in 10 minutes than emails across days.
I am trying to get on with my work, my this site is just too interesting - i have been reading everything! My group doesnt seem to be very sociable - its hard enough to find someone to each lunch with! So this has been feeding a very empty niche. Have you any other funding options?