Sticking to MPhil rather than PhD

C

Has anyone who was registered for MPhil / PhD transfer actually stuck to MPhil and didnt want to transfer (rather than failing the transfer).

At the moment this is what I am aiming to do as I am really unimpressed with my project, supervisor, lab work, prospects etc

I have spoken to someone here who was only registered for MPhil and have spoken to a load of people who have got PhDs also my friends here. but havent spoken to someone in a similar situation.

K

Hi there - I don't know anyone who has been/is in that situation, but I think you need to ask yourself exactly what it is you want from an MPhil/PhD.

You say that you are "really unimpressed with [your] project supervisor, lab work, prospects etc". That's a lot of discontent. If you are not happy with so many aspects of the whole process, switching to MPhil won't alleviate your dissatisfaction. Why? Because in practical terms, an MPhil is not much less work than a PhD. You still have to write a sizeable thesis (one of my friends wrote 60K words), you still have to have a viva and still have to go throught the same rigorous assessment processes. If you are unhappy on several levels, I think you should be questioning whether the whole thing is right for you, to be honest.

C

The only reason I am sticking to MPhil is it shows I have done something for the last 2 years and keeps me in money whilst I find a job

I have started writing it up but if I can find a job that will take me as I am then I will go without the writing up.

S

Don't you think an Mphil does not make so such difference in enhancing your employability as you are still a Mr/Ms, not a Dr. I'd pursue it to get a Dr, or I'd quit it completely. An Mphil is pretty much like an MSc in your CV although it involves lots of effort, it doesn't look impressive to people outside academia though.

C

Well yes sourapple I do, however I cant afford to just quit without having a job to go to, I have a mortgage to pay...

Also I dont really care at the moment whether I am a Miss (soon to be Mrs) or a Dr.

To be honest a few of my friends have struggled to find jobs with a PhD as they are over qualified, so that sense doesnt bother me one bit

S

Yeh, I agree. But if you target at a lecturership as a career, then probably a Dr is essential otherwise PhDs are not advantaged in the job market. Anyway, good luck with your Mphil!

C

Not planning on staying in academia so that is def not a problem, industry here I come!!

K

It sounds like you're not enjoying it at all, clariet707. How far are you into the process? Have you spoken to your supervisor or director of research about your concerns? It would be a shame to leave without seeing if anything could be done to improve your experience of the research.

Your thoughts towards the MPhil would also be a good thing to discuss with the supervisor anyway - if you are thinking of leaving as soon as you find a suitable job, you need to handle this carefully. If your supervisor is aware of your concerns it will make your circumstances a alot easier in terms of getting references for the work you have already completed. What you don't want is to expose yourself to the risk of getting a bad/questionable reference by "dropping a bombshell", especially without seeing if your situation could be improved first.

C

Oh I have done nothing but tried to sort this out for the last 2 1/2 weeks. just got back after 2 months off injured, suspended during that time so am now due to finish phd dec 08.
Ive spoken to supervisor (who didnt really seem to care, said it was almost expected?!?), research admin leader (been really helpful, trying to find out things for me), head of research (who at first was trying to get me to carry on, now realises that I am really not happy)

Things with supervisor havent been great since I started, he is a very difficult man to get on with and hasnt really supported me from day 1 (he is a throw you in at the deep end and watch you flounder sort of super).

C

I feel like I am not enjoying the actual subject (synthetic medicinal organic chemistry) rather than the project (anticancer drugs) and if I could change to a different project here I would - no funding or suitable projects available. Ive looked at other unis in the area too and havent found one I like sound of. so job is next best thing, maybe Ill go back to a phd at a later date