Still Unlucky :(

I

Hey guys,
Hope you're having a good Christmas/Holiday season. Unfortunately, and after applying for at least 20 jobs over the past month, I have yet to be called for a job interview let alone get a job offer. It's the first time I find myself in such a position- after I finished my Masters I found a job in a couple of months. Now that I have a PhD and my CV is far more impressive I can't find a job either in the UK or North America (where I'm currently based :(:( ). Is this normal? My PhD is in Economics, so I would like to think it's a useful degree. Appreciate any advice/comments/support.

H

Are you just applying for academic jobs, or non academic ones as well?

I

Quote From HazyJane:
Are you just applying for academic jobs, or non academic ones as well?

Both- applying for postdocs, working on publications on the side, teaching part-time until end Jan, and applying for jobs at private-sector companies and think-tanks.

L

Hi Incognito,
Was hoping you'd have some luck with getting a job :(.
I'm still stinging from a polite rejection from a PhD position just yesterday. I had sent it with a tailor-made proposal for the department to extend their work. I mentioned their staff and cited their papers in it. But no.
So I don't suppose I have any advice...just support :). Keep at it! Something's got to work out.

What really ticks me off is employer attitude these days, because I've been on the other side of the table. During our Master's studies, two of my friends and I set-up a reasonably successful technology start-up. We read and replied to nearly every application during our hiring process (I know the rate...6 hours gets you through 71 applicants!) - with minimal pay, and Master's theses to complete!
These days, well-paid fully staffed HR departments are unwilling to even look at applications, and prefer to put up barriers against people applying. It's a real shame!

I eventually left the startup I helped to establish precisely because our investing shareholders were heavy-handing the company into much more "profit-centric" policies. Desperate for money, the company complied.

Wish you the best of luck, and hoping you'll find a place soon. Keep firing those applications! You have to hit a target eventually - even by random chance :)
In the meantime, best to try and enjoy the holiday season with friends and family - after all, they are the ones that are important.

I

Hi Lude,
Thanks for your words of support, and sorry to hear about your PhD rejection.

See we're in the same boat!!! I tailored my cover letter and CV exactly as per the job description and the thing is with my PhD and 4 years work experience as an economist you'd think I'm a shoe-in. But apparently I'm overqualified for some jobs, which means some employers would not consider me :(:(:(. So frustrating.

Yeah I totally understand HR companies are scum I'm afraid- nothing worse than when they say they'll keep the CV on file lol as if they'll look at it again. I'm still waiting on at least 10 other jobs and 2 postdocs and since it's Christmas season it may take a while for them to respond.

Good luck to you as well and keep in touch!! I'll give you the same advice- keep firing those applications! Looks like we'll have to send a gazillion applications before we land even one job/programme acceptance. Have a lovely holiday season as well and wish you all the best. Fingers crossed for both of us!

F

A bit of lightheartedness for you incognito; but as an Economist I am sure you are well aware that probability favors you more and more with every application. But life is like that...people who give up have a pre-defined line they are not willing to cross. My line is when I die. So quite simply its succeed or die trying.

I always tell myself that every rejection is another funny story I can tell when I am giving a talk an auditorium full of people one day.

I

Thanks for the lighthearted message Fled- will try to smile as much as I can while I go through this ordeal!

T

You know they do actually look at CVs they have 'on file' sometimes! My friend just got a new job in this way and she applied for the position over a year ago, so it does happen! Keep at it!

W

There is nothing to do but keep going, you are doing all the right things. Is there anything from your PhD that you could use as a business idea?Look for gov grants for starting up a new business, it might even be something consultancy based? Just a thought.

I

Hi guys,
Thanks for your answers!
@Wowzers: unfortunately I can't think of anything from my PhD that I could use to start a business- plus my financial situation does not allow me to just start a business and I'm not a fan of taking risky loans. Doesn't seem like the right option. I've been applying to unis, schools to teach, think-tanks, corporations, governments, and banks :(:( as you said I'm doing all the right things to no avail- even my mates from the PhD course concur that I'm doing all the right things.
@TreeofLife: Thanks for that! Maybe there's hope after all!!

W

What about 'Teach First' they will pay you to train to teach, not lots but better than paying your pwn PGCE? Are you registered with agencies?

I

Trying for 'Teach First' but I hear they're quite competitive. Not registered with agencies yet but will definitely consider this as well. At least I know I want to go into teaching/academia so I'm not confused about my career direction.