Stop my PhD and start a new one?

M

I have been working on a PhD for the last 2.5 years, registered as a full time student but actually doing less than I should as I am also working 3.5 days a week.
So, instead of transferring from MPhil to DPhil at the end of the two years I will have to do that in September (3 years since I started).

I have 2 problems that I face. Firstly I will start working full time from the 1st of May and in addition to this my current research has not produced the desired results and thus it will be difficult to transfer without changing the scope of the PhD completely.

That would mean that I would need at least 4 more years part-time to finish.

My supervisors are very helpful but not really experts in my chosen subject and actually one of them is against to what I am trying to prove. He told me that at the beginning but he also told me to give it a go if I believe that it is feasible.

M

In the meanwhile I have applied for 4 new PhD’s (2 funded and full time that means that I won’t have to work full time) and 2 part-time. I have been told already that I will be accepted at the 1 part-time PhD even though I have not received the official letter. The University I applied to is much more renown that the one I am currently studying at (the new University is in the first 2 in the UK whereas my current one is between 25th and 40th depending on whom you are asking).

My options now are:
1. Continue with the same thesis and spend 4 years part time at a less known University and for a subject I will find difficult if not impossible to prove.
2. Start a new part time degree at a much better University and spend 6 years.
3. If I get the funded position start a 3 year PhD BUT quit my job which is really good (even though it is only for 2 years there is a good chance I could get an extension later).

A

What are you talking about?

M

What do you mean what I am talking about? I am asking for your opinion on my options.

U

You can choose using this simple formula:

Option = ceil(rand(1,1) * 3);

S

hey micloi,
at the end it is you who must decide. if i were you i'd think about:
- how much do you want a (any) PhD? is it an option at all to quit without having a PhD?
- how much do you want "this specific PhD" that you are working on now?
- how much are these new options what you really want? are they projects which really interest you, or are they just a seeminlgy convenient path to get "any old" PhD?
- what importance does that job have for you? is it really just a good way to earn money enabling you to do your PhD, or is it, at the end of the day, something you're really interested in and would like to pursue?

S

hi. This is something my old supervisor told me, when he was doing his phd, he didn't get any results for the 1st TWO YEARS, it was that awful. Luckily things turned around and he was able to finish.

Yes you need that job. Tomorrow is 1st of May.

I have been through the difficulty of working fulltime and doing research part-time which turned out to be full-time, sleeping in the lab while my gels ran. I went straight to work in the morning after long nights in the lab. I have also seen people taking up to 4 years doing MSc by research (!!!) can you imagine.

My old supervisor once told me, do your master (or your PhD) because you want to do it, not because of how much time its going to take and how much money you are going to make.

but if your phd is important to you, if it's going to take more time, why not? Everything will be ok. Good luck.

W

dont be discourage. follow your heart desires and by His grace you will make it. good luck

M

I have narrowed it down to either stopping at an MPhil or continuing for a PhD at a different university and spending 5-6 more years from now while also working full time. I really do not know what to do.
I want to get a PhD and not only a second Master (I already have one) but I am not sure if I can cope with 5-6 years studying while also working.

M

Will any university accept a student for PhD if that student is currently doing a PhD in another university but due to some "difficulties" wants to quit?

M

"Will any university accept a student for PhD if that student is currently doing a PhD in another university but due to some "difficulties" wants to quit?"

I think if you are tactful about why you want to change courses and put a positive spin on it then it should be fine. A guy in my lab did this just a few months back, and another of my friends did something similar about 5 years ago.

C

I don't think I could work and do a PhD. Is there funding in your area to do a fulltime PhD?
To me a PhD is a difficult, and full-time commitment and work must make it even harder.

Which option to take depends what you want to do afterwards MPhil/PhD, would you need a PhD qualification?

M

I have already been accepted to another university as I am "finishing an MPhil" and not "quitting a PhD" in my current university as I have not yet transferred from MPhil to PhD status.

I need to work but there is a chance I can do the PhD (they call it DPhil actually in the new university) and do the research on the same project I am assigned to at work!