Students Reading Your Work

P

On my Masters course, I have a friend who is currently doing research using the same methodology that I have used in a couple of previous projects. He's asked to read one of my essays as he's not sure how to discuss his results. I'm a bit wary of sending him an essay - recently he did a presentation where the title of his talk was extremely similar to one that me and my supervisors did and it couldn't have been a coincidence. He's a really competitive person, especially with me. I'm thinking that I might just send him one of my presentations that he has seen before even though it isn't quite what he was asking for. I hope you don't mind me posting this in the PhD forum - I thought you will probably have more experience of this sort of thing. How do you all deal with people like this? Many thanks :-)

L

Hi, I've often had this type of situation. So here's my humble opinion. Normally I would point them in the right direction rather than providing a sample of unpublished work. If he is unsure how to discuss his results, maybe point them in the direction of stuff you used for inspiration? Just an idea.

D

Hmm. It sounds like he's mistaking your kindness for naivety. I agree with Lysethia: don't send your unpublished work. A couple titles of helpful references should be more than enough.

P

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I've done exactly that :-)