Studying, Working and Living in London

A

Hi Guys,

I wondered if you had any advice on being able to balance a full-time (2 days a week Masters) course with Part-time work [what hours per week would you recommend from your experiences?]

Also, do you have any advice for a Northerner whos going to be moving down south to London regarding Student Accommodation (best affordable student areas), best way to travel (Tube or Bicycle) and general living atmosphere of London?

Thanks for you help.

T

I lived in London for my undergrad degree.. I found it difficult to adjust at first, I come from the Dales and so it was a huge culture shock, but after about 6 months I settled in to London life and enjoyed it.. Its a great place as there is always something to do. But be warned I found that most London inhabitants are quite unfriendly in comparisson to us northerners As for getting about, the tube is not that cheap really, but they do the oyster card thing which works out OK. When I was in and around central London I just normally walked as places aren't usually that far away from each other. I would never personally consider riding my bike around London due to the traffic. Where are you going to be based?

A

Thanks for all the info Tricky.

I'm hoping to go to City University, so I'll be based in Central London.

Which areas would you suggest for accommodation (that are affordable for students)

S

for city university, i would stick to the north.islington everything around regent's park, angel, highbury... a bit further out camden town... or towards the east, dalston, hackney.

i've never lived in these places but they come up when I search on gumtree for reasonably cheap places in the north.

S

I worked PT and studied FT when I did my Masters - did two days a week work permanent and freelanced on top of that (anything up to an extra three days a week)