Submit abstract to more than one conference?

T

Hello, I just wondered if you can make the same or similar submission to multiple conferences, or if you just have to choose one and wait to see if accepted?
Thanks

T

Technically you are not supposed to, but I know lots of people who have. Try to reword the abstract a bit, even if the content of the presentation /poster will be the same.

T

Ah OK, thanks. I think I will just wait to hear if accepted at the first one and then submit to another.

A

I think it really depends to be honest on the field and the conference. In social sciences, at least at the conferences I've been to or colleagues promoting our work, the same paper has been presented multiple times.

To give an example, my colleague is currently presenting our work at a few difference conferences, each a different but intersecting field but it's essentially the same paper with a few tweaks but to a different audience, and that can be really helpful in getting work out and making new connections.

There's like an unspoken rule that you shouldn't but considering conferences are really about getting your work out and letting people know who you are and what you do, I personally don't see an issue in seeing the same paper presented at multiple places, or a series that are very similar.

T

Cheers awsoci, I will ask my sups. By the way, on that note - do you always ask your sups before submitting anything?

T

I did. I know they liked me to ask them first and they liked to give me feedback etc. Mostly because they like to think they know best and can still teach me stuff I reckon :P

T

I always have done so far, but I guess I meant on an abstract that you've already had feedback on but you're thinking of rewording slightly and submitting elsewhere.