Suggestions for conference etiquette

D

Anyone tried it when they've got someone with them? I'm a wheelchair user, so will have a trusty pusher, but I find people tend to assume that you want to come past and move out of the way!

S

I like conferences. I have often met up with people while trying to find my way or while queuing for something. Peers tend to stick together - so PhDers tend to be with other postgrads and postdocs. Which is fine and makes for good drinking buddies.

I have occaisionally targetted people to talk to but not too often - only when I really have a common interest to talk about. Mostly I am open to anyone friendly and that has served me well.

Dress - smart casual.

S

Don't panic about speaking to academics - I am also quite shy and found that when I went to my first conference last year, the academics tended to be keen to talk, so all I had to do was be willing to listen! Try to seek out other PhD students, as they tend to stick together and not talk about work all the time. I'm sure that looking back, you'll be glad that you went along, and at least at your next conference, you'll see some familiar faces so it won't be nearly as nerve-wracking!

C

I am shy and hate conferences though have been to 10. They are of limited networking use unless you have someone to introduce you. I hate the endless coffee breaks standing alone like a lemon! You are unlikely to be approached unless presenting. Dont just pitch in others conversations - often people have worked together for years, sharing old jokes and wont appreciate the intrusion.

Better to be up front, walk up to someone nice looking, say 'Hi this is my first conference - feeling a bit lost...what do you research etc...'...

Looking at posters fills in times when standing about alone but I always take some reading or when there is time to kill or irrelevant talks.

They are usually very casual in my experience (biosciences). I normally wear jeans, top/shirt and take a jacket/blazer to smarten it up
Dont feel bad if you come back having met few people you will learn something from the talks.
Some conferences have a social event/excursion to break the ice..