Suggestions to cheer up my sister who is writing up

A

My sister is currently writing up her PhD thesis. I live in a different country, but have been going through her thesis and sending comments. So I am trying to offer her support, but I would like to ask whether you really appreciated any present/wished for any present I can send her at this time to 'cheer her up'. She is hoping to submit at the end of August but she has a week away at this time (brother's wedding). What did you really wish for when towards the end? I can see she is getting quite down sometimes (I commented on most of her conclusions, because she was way too negative, and put in them every possible problem in the conclusions and focused on all the negative aspects of her research), especially going through the corrections and would love to do something nice for her! Any suggestions?

for me - a MASSIVE bag of maltesers. Although unfortunatley I'm on a diet :-(

I'd also like something to look forward to e.g. a holiday, even if it was only a weekend away, or an event like tickets to a musical. Something other than the academic world would be nice!

B

When I read your thread, I thought how lucky your sister is to have you. I am also at the end stages of thesis writing. My sister sent me a card with a picture that closely resembled my home place [I also live away from my home country] and the front of the card had words of encouragement. I would appreciate, a framed poem or a photo/painting that reminded me of good times or times to look forward, post PhD. To make my office inviting I sometimes use candles and like to have relaxing background music. A hand cream with relaxing scents or a book with phrases and quotes to inspire. Hope this may help.

B

I agree with Sneaks something non-PhD related would be great, like a day or even a half day at a spa!

A

this is at your brother's wedding, right? Maybe try organise to see a film in that week or a bit of pampering such as a manicure? Also, although you need to be supportive, you need to be empathetic as well. I can't bear it when I am trying to explain to family how uptight I am about submitting and someone says "sure you'll be fine, you always get through it in the end" :-s It actually makes you shut up and think 'what's the point, they just don't understand'

You sound a lovely sister :-x

K

[quote]Quote From sneaks:

for me - a MASSIVE bag of maltesers. Although unfortunatley I'm on a diet :-(
quote]

That made me laugh Sneaks- my boyf came round yesterday and he asked what I wanted him to bring me (he always brings me a pressie bless him) and I said Maltesers! He brought 2 big boxes round and I've been scoffing them all day! The best viva-prep food ever! KB

Alice what a lovely sister you are, and how lucky you are to have each other.

I agree with the non-academic present, tickets for a musical after she's finished would be fabulous. I believe people can get a bit down then too, so it would cheer her up at a good time.

K

Hey! I have just finished writing up...it is a hard process. I would send her something to make her laugh. The most I've laughed over the last few weeks was when an old neighbour of mine (who moved away about a year ago, but who I'm still in touch with) sent me a pressie out of the blue- it was a voodoo doll of my supervisor, complete with pins! I think a good chuckle is good for the soul, so I'd go with something funny! Best, KB

S

What a lovely sister you are! I say book her in for a post submission massage. I did that and it was bliss.

A

Thank you for your suggestions. Loving the voodoo doll and massage post submission option...:)