Supervision meetings

G

No matter how much I've done, or how pleased everyone is with my progress, I am always made to feel like the past few weeks was a waste of my life. Is there a good way of turning negative meetings into positive ones(without cake and beer)?

maybe he/she can see more potential in you than you allow to yourself? Is it always on the same issue, or does your supervisor brings up different ones each time? If it's always the same thing, perhaps something needs to changed and you two aren't communicating well. If the latter, then perhaps you could ask him some feedback for the previous amendments/actions. You need acknowledgment to be able to continue on the right track. Good luck with all.

S

It is a bit hard to discuss without more details. But what comes to mind mostly is that whether you are doing well or not should not depend so much on the way another person communicates with you. If you feel you are doing well, and others feel the same way it is possible that everything is going well....just that your supervisor isn't very good at communicating in a complimentary way. Definately think about what he is saying....but do not feel that everything is horrible if you don't get a 'great job'. Some people just don't ever say that. It can be a hard thing for people who are bright and used to always being top of the class and getting positive feedback...but some people just seem to never give that. So I guess the question to ask is 'Is this just his style?' If so, don't take it personally.

P

I think the best mentality to go into a meeting with your supervisor is looking for improvement suggestions. Personally, I find it really hard, and I just want praise, but in reality it would be a disservice to you if your supervisor wasn't giving you constructive criticism about how to improve your work. So go in with the mindset "I'd like to know how to make this better" and see if that helps at all.

Also, it might help to realize that there is one of two reasons that your supervisor is being negative. 1) It's just the way he is, and has nothing to do with you, so you shouldn't let it bother you (easier said than done, but it's worth trying) or 2) Your work needs serious improvement, in which case it's better to get feedback now so that you can get it into publication shape.

Good luck.

B

In the same boat Graham - really feel deflated on coming out of meetings where there has been no feed back at all and only a sense that you were there so the supervisor could vent any frustration he/she has on you (even stuff that doesn't relate). Think the only way is to really stick to your guns and force the meeting yourself i.e. if you are being criticised, why and where are you going wrong rather than getting a vague "Oh your work is crap!".