Supervisor did not return thesis scripts...(writing stage)

H

I have asked to change a supervisor and the HoD have arranged a meeting between 3 of us.

I am really quite nervous about it and I am really not comfortable to address the issue in front of my supervisor.

I don't want to go against my supervisor in anyway, but I really don't think I would be able to finish the PhD if I continued to be his supervisee. He once said if i'm not happy with his supervising style, I can ask to change, and that's what I'm doing now.

How do I sound professional?I don't want to sound like a student who whines about their supervisor because I can't take the stress of PhD workload etc....

Any last minute advice how do I go about it? What is the changing supervisor policy in your uni?

L

To be honest, I don't know how you go about changing supervisor at my uni as I've never looked into it, but don't you feel guilty about it!

My last minute advice would be to stay calm, and stick to the facts. Don't get emotional, just go in there, tell them you are worried as you have submitted work (it would help if you had evidence i.e. print outs of emails with dates and times) and you haven't received any feedback. Just reiterate you are worried about completing within the timescale and see what they say. Make sure it isn't personal and say something like, "I appreciate everyone is busy but..."

I've done a very quick google search and found this: http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_81.htm which talks about conflict resolution and has some useful hints and tips.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!