Supervisor issues 100 m from the finish line

C

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a few encouraging words and ideas for how to get through the last couple of months of my PhD. My two major issues are:
1) My main supervisors engagement in my project including personality issues
2) The sudden realization that my supervisor is very unpopular in academia

So first of I have worked with my main supervisors for the last 4 years and we get along well as long as we are not discussing anything regarding my project. When I have any big issues or questions within my project she just says "See how you go" and I basically take it as "I don't really care". Well the good thing about this is that I can definitely say that I have done independent work.
My problem with it is that she tries to take all the credit following by saying "Well, OUR project found..." "We have investigated..." and basically she has absolutely NO clues what it is that I have done perhaps not even the interest, but she likes the credit. I have lived with it until now, but I am at a point in my PhD where I need good feedback and constructive criticism to actually finalize this thesis at the level that I want. I have tried to ask her more feedback, but get NOTHING. If it is a presentation, she always just says "That was good" and nothing else - so how can I improve? or for write ups she mainly corrects spelling errors or grammar.
In supervision meeting most of the time will be spend on creating time lines, which have no consequences for her in regards to getting this back to me sooner than 4 months time, so have started considering her as a project manager (a poor one) rather than a supervisor. However, it is not easy once you loose respect for your supervisor. It is really difficult for me to acknowledge her at all.

That leads to the next issue. We have attended a couple of conferences together recently and she is always very verbal and out there expressing her opinions, probably a bit too aggressively and I have now started to notice other academics rolling their eyes at her and actually not respecting her either.
This has suddenly made be quite concerns, as I guess I will be associated with her and regarded as her "supporter" because I am working with her. So I have started worrying that this will actually reflect on how I will perceive once I get to the other side of this PhD.

Luckily I do have 2 other really amazing people on my advisory board, but I don't really get supervision from them as much, mainly because my primarily supervisor gets very jealous if I speak to any of them without her present. Though she will "take over the scene" if she is present, so I have stopped including her or informing her much about my plans for meetings or progression of results.

Sorry long story, but I have a really hard time "forgiving" people once they start getting on my nerve, so not sure what I should do with this "lady". Should I confront her nicely and say that at this point of my project, I actually don't think she can contribute as mu

T

I read the whole thing *hugs*.

But, do you think you'll have a high chance of passing once you're in your Viva? What do you think? How's the presentation (for yearly report) so far? Was it smooth most of them? How's your confidence when presenting to other panels?

C

I am actually in Australia and we don't do vivas. We are examined purely on our thesis/thesis by publication. The supervisor feedback is therefore extremely important. Would have loved to have a viva as I love presenting :)
I must admit that I have not even considered the possibility of not passing or having my thesis accepted. I do have quite a novel project and am getting some nice results :)

Just find it frustrating to have to deal with a supervisor, whom I have lost respect for and who is organizing meetings with me that ends up being about admin and practical things rather than my actual project. And then the fact that she tries to take the credit despite not even knowing or alting to know details.

T

*hugs*

I'd be utterly piss as well if my work is said to be 'theirs' as well. My supervisor mentioned during the first day of the meeting that this is my work - hinting that I better do it! And she's not there to cuddle lol.

I asked my technical writing Prof. who's name should be the first, second and etc on my first conference paper and he said that the supervisors' name should be put first; when I heard that, I went very angry inside! The hell! I wrote 100% of them! Why should their name be first!? But when I showed the paper to my supervisor, she said that her name is second, followed by my second supervisor which I'm very happy about! - So I do know your frustration dealing with work that's not going to be recognized as yours.

I'm not aware of how Australian PhD works, but could you get someone to read your work for you and see what they think? And if you could, ask them honestly; "what's my chance of passing the PhD". The more people you could get the better since now you'd have a better perspective of your position. As a consolation price, acknowledge them on your thesis that they had helped you :)

But since you recognized that you have a novel project and nice results, then that's a good indication - now you need to validate it. Have you asked her how's your progress so far? And what's your current stand?

C

Yes, that is always the big issue "who's name goes first..."
My primary supervisor used to say that her name should be second after mine, but I have actually moved her name to third now, because my secondary supervisor has put in A LOT more work and supervised me brilliantly on my analysis (he is an external supervisor, who heard about my project and really wanted to be involved despite being extremely busy with other big projects including "running" for tenure).

I am always commented on progressing well, so I can give my supervisor that much. BUT I guess there is always the doubt that you could do better, when she is not actually interested or trying to challenge my skills.

Perhaps I should just "breathe" and try not to be annoyed with her knowing that I will luckily finish soon and "get out of there"

T

======= Date Modified 01 Jul 2012 16:00:16 =======
I think you're almost there! :)

I think you just needed a place to vent your frustrations really (something that I'm trying to do as well at the moment :/ ); once you do, it helps elevates the stress and then you (and me as well!) could continue on with work :)

I'm very happy hearing that you've someone that's very interested with your work; and yeah, I'd do the same thing! Move the guy in a second place just to be fair :)