Supervisor moving to new uni. Can I?

P

Hi,
My supervisor is probably moving to a new university (Oxford) and I'd really like to move with him (there isn't really anyone else doing my sort of thing at my current uni and it'd be better for me personally). Does anyone know what you have to do to transfer a PhD to a new uni, or how to set it up to be a dual-centre arrangement? Does Oxford even accept transfers? My funding is from a charity, so I'm not sure how that will affect things.
PC

J

My super is also moving, but he is still being my supervisor, but from a distance. Good job we have e-mail these days!!!

L

Hi,

It depends on where you are up to in the PhD and the conditions of your funding. One option might be to stay registered at your current uni but still have the same supervisor. Your current uni would have to pay for this. It also depends on whether your current supervisor wants you to move with him/her. I would ask the institutions about what their policy is - see if each option is possible and what would be involved before deciding. One issue for you might be where you want your PhD to be from.

B

When a very similar thing happened to me, and I checked Oxford's regulations on transfers, I found that they were very reluctant to accept them. I can't remember exactly what the rules said, but it didn't look promising.

I stayed on at my university, with my existing funding, and eventually got a new supervisor.

P

Indeed, my supervisor does want me to go with. I found this on the Oxford postgrad website
"Can I transfer to Oxford to complete my course?
Generally, no. You can only transfer to Oxford from another university if you are accompanying your supervisor, who is coming to take up a post at Oxford. In addition, the majority of your coursework will need to be undertaken at Oxford."

I will only be part way through my first year, so it does sound promising in this instance. No?

B

Quote From PennyCrayon:

I will only be part way through my first year, so it does sound promising in this instance. No?

Yes it does. Better than the situation I was in, where I was halfway through my (part-time) degree.