Supervisor playing games and using me

L

Goodday,

I am going through a hard time with my supervisor. He seems to have switched off and does not provide anymore comments and does not reply to emails.

He also announced that the funding that was initially meant for this research is being used for another research and that I would have to bear the cost of all expenses. He said this while he knew from the beginning what exactly I was doing. I've also noticed that he lies and used me to get fund for other research that he is doing.

What should I do?
What would you advise me?
Should I continue under the supervision of such a person?
Should I find another supervisor? Another university?
Does he also get to grade my thesis?
Should I see him and ask him politely why he is playing games?

Please advise !

S

Do you have a Board of Graduate Studies or similar admin office/person that you can complain to? The issue of suddenly having to bear your own research costs is a serious one and you should not be expected to accept that. Got to run...

R

You were offered your studentship with funding so there is no way in hell your supervisor can just turn around and say you now have to pay for this yourself.

I would think you have very strong grounds for taking this matter to your department.

M

Have you started your research programme yet ?

L

Thank you for your posts. Yes, I am half-way through my doctorate. And to change supervisors would mean, months of waiting and finding somneone who may not even be in my field.

I do not know if there is a disciplinary board. I'll enquire about it.

Should I see him first before making a formal complaint against him to the dept.? I would like to know why he suddenly changed and what caused this.

There is another thing that I'm afraid of - backwash and his effect on a new supervisor that I may have.

H

They are right about withdrawing the funding; that's illegal (I think) and constitutes a breach of contract. Not to mention grounds for replacing the git.

S

Finding that there is no provision for research costs is, alas, fairly common (happened to me **complaincomplain**) but this is worse as you had the funds to start with. You clearly don't have a very good relationship with your supervisor if you haven't been able to talk about why this is happening. There MUST be someone you can go to - a graduate tutor or admin person to talk this over.

I think it is a good idea to talk to him first. I don't really see how you can carry on in this situation if your costs very large. I am paying my research costs from my gtrant and it is a major headache (and I am pretty furious about it).

S

Also - your supervisor does not grade your thesis - your examiners do that.

S

I strongly suggest trying to talk to your supervisor about this first, and trying to work some way through it. If not, don't make a complaint yet, ask someone for advice - normally the head of the university's research or graduate department. It does sound as though your sup is out of order, but you need to get someone at an institutional level to support what you are claiming.
Then, complain. Yes a new supervisor may take a while, but it is worth it in the end if it gets you through to completion without total bankruptcy.

L

He doesn't even want to speak to me. I have emailed, texted, nothing. This is really upsetting me.

Has anyone encountered anything like that before?

Who could I report such misconduct at my university?

L

I still haven't seen him and wonder how long I should wait....

S

I rely think you must report this. All institutions have someone to hear complaints. Contact your admissions office or head of dept and find out how that is done.