Supervisor Preferance! Your experience! any tips!?

M

Hi everybody,
Has anybody else felt that their supervisor prefers the "other" PhD students in the group to them?
I have been feeling that way for a while and don't know how to deal with it!

M

No matter how lazy she is, how much she misses seminars and meetings being out with friends chatting, She is the one who gets all the attention. She is the one who should be there for the experiment to be done. She is the one who we should be careful not to be offended!!! I feel my work to get my supervisor's attention (at least to see us at the same level) does not work!

L

Gosh .. you remind me with that phd girl who she was in my group. She had a very strong ties with my supervisour and this reflected my relations with my supervisour. She was so b***h when i do good work and show it to my supervisour, she tried to give an impression to my supervisour that i didnt do the work and she helped me in doing it (behind my back). I really hated here but at the same time i ignored her and kept my good relations with my supervisour through producing good work. You have to live with it and no need to give it more than it deserves. There are many ways to grap your sup's attention, you have to find out how though!.

S

I have to say it sounds less like he favours her and more like he treads on eggshells around her, but can trust you to get on with it?

If you feel you are not gettting good supervision that is one thing

But a Good PhD should be able to get on with it, without constant guidance (after a certain stage).

Also its not really a game of who likes who (again provided they are not doing you a disservice)

I think you will find that working hard, being dedicated and producing results will gain you more respect than vying for attention in competition with the other PhDs

Don't get me wrong, I know it can be frustrating - but as long as your supervisor is otherwise attentive, I would try and not get too paranoid about it

S

M

Thanks guys
You cheered me up
keep giving me hints
I will reply back tomorrow from uni!

D

see.. we all cares for you! so cheer up and wishing you a great day ahead!

M

Thanks last-Samorai, sjo4 and daledale!
Las-Sam, I forgot to say that it is the same with us! She is far ahead of me in the PhD and has loads to do, but can not let me see do anything in my own! any experiment, she has to be in it! she says she wants to learn! but the problem is that she would not let me do it (she does not want to be an observer she wants to do it)! which is fine, but then when she has her private meetings with the sup she reports that she has done the work (MY work! and I have been lazy!)! I know you would say talk to the sup to have separate paths! I did ! The sup says ok, from now you will do separate experiments, but when we have joint meetings it is like I have not talked to the Sup! The sup would be like: Yeah, I guess we can do this one joint too!!!!!

M

Sorry for so much moaning!!! I feel if I talk about it to you guys and get help here it would solve the problem, as I am already feeling better by reading your comments, Feeling that you are not the only one and other people have had the same experience in some point (and survived it!) is a nice feeling!