Supervisor/Student Responsibilities

A

There have been a couple of posts on here recently about supervisors and whether they're doing what they should be doing! I just got this in my inbox from the Graduate School at my university, and found it interesting. I'm sure you'll be able to request something similar from your own institutions, but this is a pretty comprehensive document, and I thought it might be helpful to both prospective and current researchers. I hope you're able to access this (warning: it's a pdf)!

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/graduate.school/staff/SupervisorandStudentResponsibilitiesAug2007.pdf

J

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2008 14:55:50 =======
yeah, every university has the similar regulation. But that only happen theoretically. The problem is "what would happen in reality"? The real situation could be so varied.

P

Hehe I agree, all schools put up these things...then it varies...i have seen people sobbing (literally, actually sobbing) about supervisors, I have also seen people sensing an intellectual resonance (which is possibly the best thing to wish for)...

C

The point of such responsibilities for supervisor and supervisee is that they form a basis of what might be expected from the university. e.g. should you wish to request a change of supervisor because of their poor performance of your supervisor you can refer to the responsibilities expected and point out where your supervision falls down. It's not perfect by any means, but it gives the student something in writing as to what they might reasonably expect, and equally what they should expect to put in themselves.

P

This may sound strange, but I think this particular version is a little bit hard on the supervisor in places. Just picking a random minor point - why should my supervisor have to make sure I submit funding reports on time? Of course I expect him to sign off his part of such things on time (which he invariably does, lucky me :=7), but I don't feel neglected because I have to take the initiative.

S

The equivalent document from my institution makes it very clear that it is the student's responsibility to manage thier supervision. It doesn't really make it clear how you are supposed to do that exactly though. I am over 40 with a professional career behind me and find that nigh on impossible. I can't see how a 21 yr-old is going to 'manage' a senior academic with a long-established habit of student-neglect.

Adhering to funding guidleines is one of the few things that gets a supervisor moving as the consequences of displeasing funding bodies, for the supervisor, are grim.