supervisor with too high expectations for just me?

S

My supervisor expects more from me than other phd students. I double the time in lab compared to the other two students. I am in my 4th year, and have moved to be closer to the lab, broken up with a boyfriend and have NO social life. I was told today since other people have kids and a husband i my twice as much isn't enough. I am in the lab 50 hours a week, and I do my reading and writing at home. But apparently their 20 hours is fine for those two, but not for me. The other two are 5th and 6th year and neither are close to finishing. I feel like this is really unfair. I have already given up soooo much for this. There is nothing else I can do! Am I wrong in feeling this way and what should I do?

K

No, you are not wrong in feeling this way. Are the results from your lab work going to be just your your own data or are you all sharing data from your repsective lab work? Either way, this isn't fair, but I guess the implications are a bit different. If it is all your own PhD work then it is your own responsibility to get it done however suits you best in whatever time scale is manageable for you, but it is not fair or realistic for your supervisor to expect you to spend this much time in the lab. If your data is going to be pooled and you're working more than twice the hours of your colleagues then this is even more frustrating if you are all going to end up sharing the results anyway. Everybody has other commitments and whilst these might be real hurdles for them, this shouldn't result in you having to work longer hours to make up for it. Nor should it be the attitude of your supervisor that you have nothing else to squeeze into your life just because you aren't married with kids. I am feeling very frustrated right now because at the same time I started my PhD another girl started with the same supervisor as me. She hardly puts in any work (2 hours a day would be a miracle for her) and is now behind schedule. As a result of this I am the only TA for my supervisor's module (80 students!) when every other year there have been two TAs, and I also have to help supervise 9 MSc students whilst she has been asked to do nothing (basically because it wouldn't get done). I have over 4 times as many participant visits to do as she does and can't help but feel a little pissed off, given that I am now losing about 2 days a week to my teaching commitments whereas she lounges around all day watching films and spending hours skyping her friends. Arrrrgh. I really hate people who don't pull their weight, so I have every sympathy with you. Are you able to approach your supervisor over this issue at all? KB

S

I have my own project but.... I a finishing data for other students who have left as well. I am in the same boat as you we don't have a tech so I do all the day to day stuff to run the lab too. You know I just discovered this forum recently and it is great to know at least I am not alone. My supervisor talked to ma about my project saying that I need more progress on it. So I think that might be a lost cause. I tried not doing the lab stuff but then it just didn't get done.

J

I feel for you because this is terrible. I really hate academics with poor (or non-existent) management skills.