Support/Motivation!!!

P

Hi All,
I started my PhD in fall 2009 and I did my field work abroad and now doing data analyses.
I am at the point of losing all motivation and giving up at this stage...It has been incredible amount of work. But I am at the verge of breaking out. The point is things have been challenging with my supervisor. My supervisor always compares students with each other- which is pretty annoying and discouraging. Right now, my funding has stopped too. My supervisor gives me unrealistic timelines if I say anything about it, she hates hearing anything. On top, my supervisor rarely gives a compliment....so, that is another painful factor here. Even if we do a great job, I hardly hear any good feedback. I also checked with other students in the group, they feel it too.
I constantly work on my data/writing. My data entry [i did them- compared to others in my lab who had support from undergrads/field workers] has taken so much of my time!!! I don't think my professor understands ...each time I explain, all that she cares is to see my final paper with everything with unrealistic timeline. I find this so discouraging. I put in so much hours, working non stop...but she keeps treating me as if I am not doing enough. I started my program with so much love for science and now, I lost all my motivation and energy. I am hoping to hand in my thesis by the fall 2013. I am exhausted completely. I am seeing a counselor too, who is super helpful. I am so down and discouraged with everything. I need some words of encouragement!

P

Hi PhDscientist,

I also started in the fall of 2009 and am also struggling with motivation (and a crazy supervisor!). :( :(

However, in the past few weeks I have received some motivational vids/poems/quotes etc from friends...
Here's a poem I got today:

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.

So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

Somebody scoffed: “Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one ever has done it;”
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat
And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.

With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure,
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.

But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
That “cannot be done,” and you’ll do it.

P

Also this video got me through my BSc exams...

P

Hi Pushfor 10,
Very kind of you- I love these- thanks so much!! I am new to this forum and was eagerly waiting to get a response.
When do you plan to submit your thesis? Thanks again- PhDScientist

P

I'm new to this forum too! :)
Due to submit on the 11th Oct 2013...but unless things improve I am quite likely to need an extension.