Suspending PhD in order to make a new TV series....help!

B

Hi chaps. Well, I might be in the position where I will be offered the chance to present another TV science show. Which is all very nice. However, I am wondering whether Research Councils allow students to halt their studies for a year, allowing them to take up their position (and funding!) at a later, specified date? I know this is a bit of an unusual situation, but wondered if you guys have heard of any precedent for suspending your funding?

B.xxx

L

go for it!! that is so cool presenting a tv show. let us know which one it is. we can check it out!

yah i dont think they really care the details of interruption. just ask, and see what they say. the worst they can say is no way in hell. but u wont know unless you ask

A

i don't see why they wouldn't. they give maternity leave and this is like your baby right?

A

also, it raises your profile as a researcher, so, say you're ERSC, you're raising the profile of ERSC researchers. yeah?

B

Yeah, I am ESRC. Thanks, I like that line of argument...I'm doing this for YOU, not ME!

B.x

J

I don't know the rules, but I hope they let you do it. After all, this show may lead to something even bigger and it could make your career. In which case, when you are (even more) famous, you can tell interviewers how you could never have done it without EPSRC

L

don't forget us! when you're all big and famous

B

Actually it would count highly under transferable skills and make you far more employable both within academia and outside.

B

Funding councils tend to only allow breaks for serious medical reasons or maternity breaks. And then they'll only sanction breaks for a limited period. For the ESRC rules see http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/Support/research%5Faward%5Fholders/FAQs2/#i

B

Actually found the wrong bit of the website. http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/Support/postgraduate_students/Studentship_Handbook/index.aspx?ComponentId=370&SourcePageId=1358 and section 9.5 is what is needed for doctoral students. Might be possible, but it depends on what they say. It's more flexible than my funding council who only allow suspensions on medical grounds. I had to arrange one myself and luckily fell under their more restricted rules.