switching phds - what's the etiquette?

H

Hi all,

I am currently doing a part time PhD in (art/architecture as opposed to sciences). I'm a year and a term into it, but have a horrible nagging feeling I'm in the wrong place. However, I totally adore my supervisor, who seems keen for me to be there, gives great feedback and constructive criticism, and is an encouraging and amusing person, as well as being at the top of her game. The problem is I trained for years in art/art theory, but due to getting very interested in architecture, decided to try and 'combine', thereby increasing opportunities for teaching and research positions. Now I am thinking this is not perhaps the case, and I'll be more like jack of all trades, master of none, and I should switch university. Although this might be me feeling overly sensitive/inadequate. Question is, if I did decide to switch, what on earth is the etiquette?! Won't my supervisor feel completely 'betrayed' as I've been with her more than a year (and we met before that too - she gave me some preliminary coaching before I even started)? Or is switching acceptable?

any ideas most welcome!

R

Hi there

If you need to change PhD's then you must do it. Your supervisor is a professional and I dare say she will get over your decision to leave!
Remember though that you have already invested over 12 months on this project - the grass is not always greener you know.

H

Hi handy,

Bizarre but I posted a similar message about the situation I'm in. Like you, I have been at my University studying for this PhD for a year and a term. It's a really difficult decision, to know whether the grass is greener or not! It's also the issue of offending supervisors and university staff but I think we have to go with our gut feelings. I am waiting to hear back from my funders to see if they will support this move.

Let us know how you get on.