Teaching and Learning Programs for STEM Postgraduate Students

B

Hello Postgraduates,

I'm wondering if any of you have participated in, or are aware of, any teaching and learning programs for postgraduate students. I am particularly interested in programs that are aimed at postgraduate students who are *not* studying education, and instead have their research focus in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Are there TA training programs? Professorial training programs? Any info on programs you know of yould be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

- Your American BadgerOwl

H

This might not help given your sign off name, but in the UK there is such a thing as a 'Postgraduate Certificate of Higher Education' (PGCHE). UK researchers who want to lecture are sometimes encouraged to take that course. It might be worth seeing whether such things are available internationally via distance learning, though it would be worth checking out whether it would be valued/recognised where you are.

M

This is an interesting question. I don't know about the US, but in the UK universities provide lots of support for women in STEM (e.g. mentoring, workshops, networking groups etc) via a programme called Athena Swan. As far as I know, all universities do this now because funding depends on it. If you find that universities don't do this in the US, you should politely but firmly ask them why!

B

Thank you both for the comments. I really appreciate the programs, and will certainly look into them. I realize my post was confusing... I am American, but I'm interested in learning about the programs that exist in the UK and in Europe. I appreciate any additional programs that you may know of!

Thank you!!