Teaching/Research Balance

J

Hi all,
Thank you for reading and if you have any suggestions for help I would be eternally grateful to you. This is my 5th year teaching and I am currently writing up. I am teaching a new course this year which takes up one full day per week teaching and about 4 days prep. It is insane. The reason it takes so much time is that I have to run everything past the lecturer who is overseeing the course. Having taught my own modules over the past 3 years I am not used to this. This week the emails have started and also students are starting to want to schedule appointments with me. I can't cope at this point. The classes itself have been going great but I just can't keep this up for another month and a half and work on writing up.

The problem is *the stage* I am at in my own work. I am so near and yet so far. Without teaching I was looking at a Feb/March deadline but I will not make this with this teaching workload. I feel like I can't pull out of teaching these classes now. I don't want to burn bridges with anyone but am exhausted and not getting enough of my own work done. Do you think there is any way I can pull out of this now?I just made a bad mistake in taking this on at this point in my research.

Can anyone please let me know if they've been in a similar situation or if they can see how I could potentially get out of this wihtout burning bridges? Do you think if I went to the lecturer and was honest about finding it a little too much while trying to write up that they would be ok with that? Thanks folks. Much appreciated

T

I think just discuss it with the lecturer, I'm sure they'll understand and you'll be able to work out some solution together.