Teaching / Tutoring/ Demonstrating etc

L

I'm just curious about how much (if any) teaching/tutoring/demonstrating and marking etc everyone does alongside their PhD work, also if you volunteer to do it or if it's a condition of your funding.

I volunteer to do mine and do 3 hours tutorials a week + prep in each semester and ~4hours marking every 3 weeks through one semester

B

I have done 27 hours of lab demonstrating this semester which is paid work.

M

I do my PhD in Germany where it is usually connected to being a research assistant to a professor at university. In my case, this means I teach a tutorial of 2 hours/week and grade exams for about 6 - 10 weeks each year full-time.

Sounds like a lot maybe but I actually enjoy it and there is nothing better to get your mind off the dissertation.

H

I volunteer to do it. I enjoy it and also you can never have enough money when you're a student!

J

i find it very hard to get any teaching work around here

S

I do tutorials for 2 first year groups and I'm recommended to spend no more than 1 day per week fulffiling all teaching, marking and prep work. I'm quite comfortable with this although I really hate the marking. The teaching though is wonderful. Definitely one of the most enjoyable parts of the job, and now I'm hankering after doing the odd first year lecture too, if they'll let me.

J

makring away.. hating every moment of it. i do paid teaching, i like it, hate the preparation though, can take a whole lot of my time... wish i could do it in a day like sylvester.

J

oops... marking

M

I do 6 hours teaching per week during term time, plus preparation and any marking for those classes, plus 6-8 hours of exam invigilation yearly, and I also have to deal with student queries in my own time. I don't get paid for it either, the uni pays my fees in return for my teaching and gives me a 12k bursary to live on (I suppose you could say my 12k bursary is what I get for teaching). It's annoying because other people who aren't funded through teaching get paid a fortune for it, plus a bursary as well, if I was paid for my teaching I'd get over £200 a week on top of my bursary :( But it was the only way I could get funded so I have to live with it. I spend roughly 9-10 hours per week on average doing teaching duties, it would really hinder my PhD if I didn't work really hard. I suppose it's good work experience though, although I still get the feeling I'm being ripped off :(