The best supervisors thread

L

Who here is so happy with their supervisor that they wouldn't change him/her for anything? Me me me! :)

T

I have 4 supervisors due to industrial partnership and they are all great - friendly, helpful and nice

O

I have an outstanding, marvelous, wonderful supervisor! When my supervisor changed universities part way through my Phd, I followed and changed the enrolment of my PhD to a new university!

J

Me! I have two academic and one industrial, and we get along great. They will tell me if I've made a mistake, or need to buck up, but in a useful way. And they're always encouraging of my ideas.

H

I concur, mine are pretty good. Professional, interested and approachable. Especially after four pints...

S

Me!

She is escellent for handing whole chapters to and getting them back within days - I know folk who wait months!

Reccomended me for my post doc job, has already done all the filing for my viva despite not having finished yet - to help me get done in thime for the new Job!

Couldn't ask for a more supportive supervisors which really helps at this stage

P

Mine have been absolutely brilliant from day one. I "heart" them.

C

I've got three supervisors due to industrial partnership as well. My supervisors are the best in the department and i am privileged to be their student. Unfortunately they are retiring within the next 5 years so i might be one of the last students they take on.

I

Mine are fantastic too :)
Don't have much to do with one of them, but they're so approachable, and they're a great laugh, but they know exactly what they're doing and how to take a PhD student through. I get the impression that I'm being guided but by my own volition - if that makes any sense!

B

Me too... worth his weight in 'gold'... listens, is timely with feedback, makes useful feedback, takes you beyond your comfort zone (but in a nice way), is encouraging... and, well, although busy (has over half a dozen PhD students besides me)... still manages to make time for you. I think what I most appreciate is when you have his attention, you have it... wholeheartedly (i.e. takes no phone calls, no interruptions, etc.). Also, answers your queries with 48 hours. Yay!