The last hurdle

D

This is more of a cathartic "rant" than a question...I'm supposed to have my VIVA soon, but don't have a date because my committee is incomplete. There has been a lot of back and forth between professors about who should be on the committee, and I'm off to the side waiting...and waiting...and waiting. The extra time to prepare is just making me more anxious. I even considered the idea of quitting.

I guess my question is: How do you stay the course when that last hurdle (the VIVA) keeps moving further away?

M

What sort of committee are you talking about? Internal and external examiners?

D

======= Date Modified 16 Feb 2012 14:52:12 =======
The external examiners.

I already have my internal examiners. It's the advisor and Chair who choose the external examiners. They ask my opinion, but at this point, my opinion is "anyone is fine."

The externals are supposed to be unaffiliated with the PhD candidate, so it's not as though I can move things along by making suggestions.

Quote From Dalmation:

This is more of a cathartic "rant" than a question...I'm supposed to have my VIVA soon, but don't have a date because my committee is incomplete. There has been a lot of back and forth between professors about who should be on the committee, and I'm off to the side waiting...and waiting...and waiting. The extra time to prepare is just making me more anxious. I even considered the idea of quitting.

I guess my question is: How do you stay the course when that last hurdle (the VIVA) keeps moving further away?

A committee? I assume you're a United States candidate. The UK is one internal, one external, possibly a second internal or external if specific expertise is needed and your supervisor if you want as a theoretically non-participatory presence.

My supervisor was responsible for the delays in my case as he wanted to be present (and I also wanted this). However, he was also to be present at a workshop and hence it was two and a half months after submission I finally got my viva (most people seemed to wait one month). All I can say was it was frustrating and you must be ready to throttle certain people because of the delay. However, once I accepted the situation I ensured I used the time to be fully prepared. I ensured I knew and understood my thesis / dissertation as thoroughly as possible, plus the extra time was used to revise other material outside the thesis / dissertation I was expected to know (peripheral subjects and related theory, equipment use, operation, principles and theory, and general subject theory, etc.).

I also prepared a log of errors in the submitted thesis / dissertation (i.e. picked up on typographical errors that could be removed from the final hardbound copy plus gain an awareness of any potentially serious problems), however, I wouldn't present this unless asked for it as it might lead to major rather than minor corrections being asked for. This way, if an error was pointed out in viva, then I could state an awareness of it and what the intended rectification was (i.e. be a step ahead of the examiners and reduce the risk of major corrections). However, consult with you supervisor / advisor beforehand.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

D

Thanks for the advice! On the positive side, it does give me more time to prepare, which is fortunate since I also work full-time.

I've prepared a list of weaknesses in the research, but you make a good point about demonstrating awareness of weaknesses without creating more work for myself. I've also started working on presentation skills so that my voice doesn't start cracking from nerves.

You're correct - I'm a United States candidate so there are five busy committee members who need to assemble in one room, at the same time.

You must have been so very relieved when your supervisor returned from the workshop, and you could get on with it!