The Postgraduate Moans Thread

H

Another note: I have officially reached the I am utterly frustrated with this PhD, and just wanted it submitted stage!

I wish I could work on it this weekend, but I have other commitments. I can't wait till this is over. My next big milestone is to submit the 1st draft of the thesis, and I can't wait for that!!!

Z

I can't wait for that either!

I am frustrated too, probably because I am applying for jobs now and I feel like the PhD is holding me back in an odd way. It is just hanging over me whilst I am trying to move on, but at the same time it is required in order to move on. When I submit the draft I am totally having a duvet day!

H

Quote From Zutterfly:
I can't wait for that either!

I am frustrated too, probably because I am applying for jobs now and I feel like the PhD is holding me back in an odd way. It is just hanging over me whilst I am trying to move on, but at the same time it is required in order to move on. When I submit the draft I am totally having a duvet day!

Yes yes, with Netflix, popcorn and M&Ms :) I'm going to do the same!

H

Hi

Agree there are lots of problems with the PHD writing and supervision. I recently discovered the 'How to write a winner PhD' series on YouTube

search by author name JAY JERICHO.

I wish my supervisors explained all this stuff to me as simply as this postdoc guy does.

I lost a year of my time with poor supervisors who can never remember what was said in prior meetings and cannot remember core details of my drafts.

I find these presentations cover stuff my supervisors have never once told me in 2 years and this stuff is core basics.

Hope this helps ... if anyone knows of any other good series out there can you let me know? I love how these presentations are available 24/7 whereas my supervisors only meets me once a month

Hannah :-)

PhD candidate UVictoria Socio-Legal studies

Z

I would just like to moan about applying (and being rejected) for jobs. I would also like to add that it is not helpful when your sup wonders why you aren't going for jobs that are about a quarter of the hours of part time hours, and perceiving you as being unrealistic for wanting a job that covers the rent.

H

Quote From Zutterfly:
I would just like to moan about applying (and being rejected) for jobs. I would also like to add that it is not helpful when your sup wonders why you aren't going for jobs that are about a quarter of the hours of part time hours, and perceiving you as being unrealistic for wanting a job that covers the rent.

Gosh sometimes supervisors do live in a different world entirely! Must be very frustrating for you.

I'm looking for part time post doc of research assistant post, but haven't come across anything yet. I'm wondering whether I'm being unrealistic expecting a part time post.

T

My supervisor was the opposite, asking me why I was applying for jobs that paid less than the going rate, saying I shouldn't encourage them to reduce salary like that! Then I was the one saying I have bills to pay!

On another note, I've seen quite a few part-time roles advertised in my field. Hope you find something Hugh!

H

Do you guys look at any other websites besides jobs.ac.uk?

Jobs.ac.uk should have an app!

H

Also am I correct in thinking it's too early to look and apply now when my submission will probably be at the end of November?

I've found a perfect job starting in Sep though!

T

I found pretty much everything gets listed on jobs.ac.uk so that's the only place I look now.

If you find something you really want, it's probably best to apply - you might struggle to find something else! If you're successful, you may be able to negotiate start date, or worst case, you can start the job and finish the thesis on evenings and weekends...

E

Hi Everyone

I'm in need of lots of participants for my dissertation. It a should take about 35 minutes of your time, it involves a questionnaire and computerised task. Both have to be completed on a laptop/computer. I'd be more than happy to do your studies too!

Below is the link if you'd like to take part
https://essex.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?S...HSbeViG6xcw2hv

Thanks to anyone who has the time!

H

I'm frustrated with my supervisor. I was meant to receive feedback from him and haven't heard anything, and I'm tired of waiting. A quick email would be nice ...

D

Hi Hugh - check with your student union graduate research rep and ask if there is a policy document that mandates maximum turnaround times. At Sydney University there is a policy document that states 30 days to receive a written reply to the submission of draft work for review (e.g. a chapter), but beyond this, I believe there is no protection (at that institution). Maybe try a phone call or a knock on the door or a follow up email. I hope this helps. If your question is a general one wanting some light direction, I would have though 7 days turnaround time (five full clear working days) would be fair if you don't do this too often. Just my opinion. Hang in there! Jay

H

Thanks Jay!

There's no way I'd kick a fuss now - I've only got a few months left and I wouldn't risk jeopardising our relationship. Supervisors can make life very difficult for you if they want to.

A

Totally agree with Hugh. Supervisors are supposed to help but sometimes you do just wonder?