Thesis Submission

M

Hi,

Mostly just wanted to create a thread where people could post when they have submitted. So that we can congratulate them and see that people really DO make it to the end alive. Perhaps the mods would even make it a sticky - a sort of register of success stories. For starters anyone who has submitted or even graduated could post here.

Maybe this is a mad idea and I'm sure there's plenty of reasons not to do it, I just thought it might be nice.

B

I think it's a good idea Mathkitty and we can all strive to make it to this very thread.

T

Nice idea indeed mathkitty. We did have a spate of positive stories a while back, but recently it's been a bit more sombre. Come preen yourself anyone who's lived to tell the submission tale!

B

Thanks Mathkitty for starting this thread. I'll make a post next week when my thesis is finally submitted. My thesis was printed and bound today, but I'm just waiting for a last detail to sort out by the weekend, and will be getting my supervisor to sign the relevant page next week.

C

I hope to be posting here properly in the next month or so when I offically submit. So tired and poor. My hair is greying and a shaggy mop, and I really need fresh air and exercise to revive my pale and wasted frame :$ Hopefully coffee and cramming in treats well get me through. Day and Night have no meaning.

At least I have a bit of pride in the work, even when I doubt the interpretative strength of my work sometimes, at least I can look at the sources I have found and think " I can't believe I found that, and nobody else has." That is the only thing getting me through.

(sprout)

A

Great idea for a thread.

I should be posting here in around five weeks time (arrrrgh) when I *must* resubmit.

A

Hiya Folks,

Need some guidance regarding thesis writing. Basically its simple question, during time span and the literature I write, should be submitted to my supervisior for their reviews. In more simple terms should I forward the chapters time to time to my supervisor, as they don't have time either and is this required ?

Cheers and Regards,

Anum

M

I'm so glad people have liked the idea and look forward to hearing from a few of you soon!

Anum: generally this is something you have to work out with your supervisor. Regular work submission and feedback is usually best though!

I like this thread, although at the mo, can't ever see myself being on it!

I was thinking we should have a 'hall of fame' for past posters who are now doctors and have left the forum

M

That's essentially the idea. We should include any already-Dr.s here too!

B

I've started having submission dreams! Aarrggh. Signing bits of paper - with the correct person signing in the correct place - is becoming a recurring theme in my dreams :p

Should be over by later this week anyway. Have fixed the day my sup will be signing.

B

My thesis was submitted this morning. Wahoo! Going to have some fizzy tonight to celebrate.

Suspect my viva may be late March, but my internal examiner hasn't been appointed yet, so it's still up in the air.

Have already cracked open a viva preparation book to prepare.

S

Quote From BilboBaggins:

My thesis was submitted this morning. Wahoo! Going to have some fizzy tonight to celebrate.

Suspect my viva may be late March, but my internal examiner hasn't been appointed yet, so it's still up in the air.

Have already cracked open a viva preparation book to prepare.

Yay, congratulations Bilbo!! You've done so well, especially given your poor health. I hope you're going to have a wee bit of time off before the viva prep? :-)

H

Massive congratulations bilbo!!! Next you can look forward to the viva dreams :-) (I had one a few days before my viva in which the examiners said "we can only think of three questions to ask you" so it was over in about ten minutes...so disappointing to wake up and realise it hadn't actually happened!)

Sneaks, you CAN do it! I never thought I would finish my thesis, and even now I turn around every so often just to remind myself it's on the shelf behind me - but I did, and it is. Just keep ploughing on and refuse to let any "maybe this is all rubbish"/"it's all been done before" worries even cross your mind.

B

Thanks Squiggles and Heifer. Well I'm having tonight off anyway! And won't be starting proper viva preparation until at least next week, when I'll start thinking about main questions/themes that might come up. But I've flicked most of the way through a viva preparation book (was reading it this morning while waiting in hospital!) and it's making me much less terrified, which is good.

As for the dreams, yes I'm sure I'll have the viva ones later. Not looking forward to them much :p