THINKING OF A PHD - QUESTIONS

D

Hi
I am thinking of pursuing a PhD in the area of Work & Org Psych. Excuse the naive questions ?

Typically how long is a PhD and more worringly for me how long would the Lit Review be expected to be ??

Would 4 years part time (I work in the area I would be researching) be an acceptable time frame ?

How much (unfunded) does a PhD cost ?

Thanks

L

FULL time phd takes 3-4 years. (3 years minimum)

lit review takes a long time, hard to put a definate time on it.

*looks at the other forum members for answers to the other qs*.

P

When I did mine, the fees were £3,000 a year.. however that was pre-top up fees and as my BSc cost £1K a year as opposed to £3k a year ... I don't know if the PhD has gone up as well.

4 years part time? I'd say that was rather optimistic and aim for 5.. but that's based purely on personal observations and not on your research skill or writing ability which, of course, I don't know...

S

Do you mean that you can do the research as part of your job? That might make 4 years doable. Otherwise, 5-7 is realistic.

V

hello,

why don't you contemplate the Professional Doctorate (DProf) at the Middlesex University in London (http://www.mdx.ac.uk/wbl/courses/dprof/dprof.asp) aimed for full time working professional, I believe it is very applicable to your situation. Its peculiarity is to make a valid contribution to the practice, rather than generate pure knowledge. The yearly tuition fees is about £ 3,400.

I am enrolled in the programme, just finished the 1st semester and I am now working on my proposal.

Good luck!