This unheard of thing: a day off

A

I've recently taken leave from my part-time jobs to concentrate on the last few months of writing up (it felt spectacular!). However, I've come across a new problem! I had today all planned out as a rest day, just picking some books up from the library and going to the gym. Last night in bed, though, I suddenly had a breakthrough in my ideas for a journal article I've been pondering. So, should I
a) Have rest day as planned, coming back to my work pumped up and excited tomorrow?
b) Surf the wave of my new inspiration today, relax tomorrow?
How do you all manage leisure time when your work keeps hauling you back in?

S

Could you just make notes on your ideas for say 20-30 mins and then go back later? That's what I would do.

T

I wouldnot mind.. sometimes, having a breakthrough in work is more "relaxing" than a day off. Work out the breakthrough and take a day off some other time!

L

i agree, take some time out today, maybe a couple of hours and work on the inspiration you've had and if you feel like continuing go for it! you can take a day off another time, when you feel stuck. but defiantely go with the inspiration!!

S

if you are flexible enough: go with the inspiration and work today. but take tomorrow off instead. (or the day after, or whenever the inspiration runs out)

if, however, you feel that you cannot possibly take a mid-week day off, then you should try to stick to your weekend-day off. you need a break every now and then. best to take it before your body makes you take it by being sick or something. so, just jot down your brilliant idea, and go and enjoy the rest of the day, safely knowing that the idea will be waiting for you when you get back to work tomorrow morning.

J

I think you need to grab inspiration when it strikes! Like Tom said, working on something you feel good about can be less tiring than sitting on the sofa watching News 24 (or whatever you do on your time off).

A

I ended up doing a combination: jotting some notes and taking them to the gym to think about on the treadmill, then writing up everything properly on sunday. It's really weird to be scheduling leisure time now :-/

L

well done alice! that sounds great! you totally deserve a day off now!