Time for completion of a Ph.D program

U

In wikipedia it's written that: "Many US universities have set a 10-
year limit for students in Ph.D. programs, or refuse to consider
graduate credit older than ten years as counting towards a Ph.D.
Overall, 57% of students who begin a Ph.D. program in the US will
complete their degree within 10 years, approximately 30% will drop out
or be dismissed, and the remaining 13% of students will continue on
past 10 years."

Now if i have passed the 10-year limit and my graduate credit is refused, can i do it again? Do i have a second chance?

S

This is a UK site - our PhDs have a different schedule and are a lot shorter than in the US.

S

i should think you need to ask your uni. wouldn't rely on wikipedia for such questions...

J

People who ask this type of question should not be allowed to enrol on PhD programmes. This is because it is a foolish thing to ask. If you seriously belive to need more than ten years to complete the PhD, even in the US, just don't start, don't waste your supervisor's time and, most importantly, don't waste your own time. Life is too short for a decade of misery.

G

I realise the US PhD's are different but I just can't imagine doing this for 10 years . I'm also wondering why you haven't actually finished in that time period.

M

10 years?!

You're surely referring to an extended part time position?!

M

If you think about it, a US PhD takes 5 years full time, so the idea of it being 10 years part-time is reasonable (although I think usually it's 8 years). You only need one or two years out due to work or sickness etc. to end up going over the 10 year period.

Worryingly, I know a few people in the UK who have taken 10 years or thereabouts to get their PhD!!! (although all are full time academics or professionals).

J

I know someone who - part-time - has taken over ten years. It makes me feel stressed just thinking about it! how on earth you would remember anything I don't know, plus keep up with all the new literature and ideas... would it still be relevant even?! Oh dear. Good luck!