time for yourself?

M

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and it's my first post!!! yaaaaay :) I'm almost finished my BComm degree and considering doing a PhD straight after that. I read loads of the topics on this forum and it really helps in deciding what I should do :)

I was wondering however, if you have time just for yourself, i.e. go to the cinema, or for a pint, do some sports or just spend time with you other half every day? I really don't want to neglect any of this, the little things in life while doing a PhD. So do you find time every day for yourself and other people?

S

Welcome on board! Perhaps this shows that I'm not doing enough work, but I make plenty of time for myself. I tend to work 'office hours', and very rarely do any work in the evenings or weekends. I suppose having a very laidback supervisor who doesn't give deadlines/pressure etc helps. Of course I may regret this later on, but most other students in my dept are the same. I guess it depends on your subject - maybe lab-based subjects need more work and less 'me time'.

S

I just think you need to make sure you plan well. A lot of people have jobs on the side even when funded (normally teaching), so its harder then. But its usually possible to make sure you have at least one full day (or a couple of half-days/evenings) free to do "me" stuff - as long as when you are meant to be working you actually do stuff. Its harder in third year when you are expected to produce at a rate of knots.
But expect that you will have to turn down invites to the pub/parties... eventually non-PhD friends will work out that with a bit of notice you can see them, but it can't be a last minute thing.

S

You should have plenty time for normal life most of the time- a PhD is not as all consuming as some would have you belive (in my opinion). A lot depends on you project and supervisors.

You can expect however, at times leading up to deadlines, when you will have to put your personal life on hold. I think this is a fairly common experience among PhD'ers.

S

O

Bottom line--you have to have time for yourself. It may feel hard to find and hard to take, but you have to, to keep a healthy balance for mind and body.

M

thanks for all the replies! I just got a bit freaked out by some of the posts on this forum that PhD life = work, eat, sleep and nothing else :P
I really appreciate that you took the time to reply

H

I'm going to fling my two penneth in this one: Working non-stop is all very good but not taking time out is just plain nuts. Yes you may get lots done by flogging yourself but, and here is the nub of the matter, as an academic you are expected to think. You can't do that effectively when you're exhausted and continually doing something.
Suggestion: go to the pub, nurse a pint and play with ideas in your head.