Tips pls for 1st year Sept start

W

I really could do with some tips for my first year. I don't start until Sept but I notice people talking about hardware and software needed to write the thesis and take notes etc. I thought maybe picking one and getting to grips wit it over the summer would be easier than trying to learn a new software at the same time as all the reading for the PhD. What would people advise. SI there an all ib one that takes notes/citations etc that you can word process in or do you need a few different programmes. I have a laptop with windows 7. Should I trade up to proper PC or Mac, bother getting a printer etc etc? Thanks :-)

D

Hi there,

Exciting times!

Advices:
1. Get some proper holidays :) At least a month! Make sure you start the PhD tanned and beautiful with nice shinny hair (OK, I am joking about the last bit, but be prepared for some hard work in the next three years)

2. A good laptop is essential and you can be mobile (work at home, work in the library). A PC kind of limits you to one place. And oh boy, is it boring. (University gave me a laptop, it was part of my stipend.) Unless you have some serious simulations/ modelling, then a powerful PC might be the only solution

3. If you have some time for reading, buy Andy Field's "Discovering Statistics". It is a perfect book to get your head around mostly quantitative stats. You will probably need them regardless the topic.

4. If you want to read something about the PhD, get a good general book about your discipline.

5. Regarding software, you can play around with LateX, especially if your PhD is full of equations. Word can be annoying. I kept my references in Endnote Office, and Mendeley. They are very easy to use.

6. We have free printing in the department, and I read papers from the screen, so a printer would have been redundant.

Good luck with your PhD

W

Thanks :-D I'm doing case study/narrative so qualitative will be the route I take but I do see I may need some stats in the mix.

The hard work sort of worries me a bit. I've always studied whilst working. I started my MA when my youngest was 10 months and my eldest was 2/12 and I was working full time hours in a demanding job and I managed to submit in 2 instead of 3 years so I'm pretty good at time management but I'm aware this is a whole other level in terms or amount of reading and adopting an appropriate academic writing style and that worries me, I won't lie.

I'll have a look at those programmes and have a mess about with them, I'm not the most tech savy person so it may take a while!

R

Not much more to add other than also recommending Mendeley and LaTeX. I heard so many horror stories about Endnote so I avoided it, Mendeley is also free which is always a bonus. LaTeX does take a bit of getting used to especially if you're not a programmer, there is a more 'user friendly' version as well called Lyx. This has a similar interface to Word, i.e. point and click rather than typing code but it has all the nice functionality of LaTeX. It is also free and fairly easy to get the hang of.

Also make sure you take a decent holiday before you get started, it's good to be as refreshed as possible before the hard work begins. I had a month between finishing my MSc and starting PhD and I did nothing, no reading or anything vaguely useful, just lazing around. I needed it as I worked full time whilst writing the MSc dissertation and I was knackered afterwards!

W

Cheers Pixie. I'll take a look. EEEK my notice period at work ends the day before PhD starts and I've a 4 and 5 year old. I'm not sure a full holiday will come into the equation but I do have a weekend in London booked with hubby for our 10 year wedding anniversary so it will be a break at least, Off topic slightly but regarding relaxng if anyone hs tips on good things to do in London that would be great also :-)

B

I used to post a lot here, but haven't for a while for various reasons.

Anyway, I have recently submitted my thesis (qualitative) and here are a few tips:

-I bought and learnt how to use Endnote before I started. I inputted all the articles/important books/policies etc that I had used during my MA and BA. I never actually used Endnote in the official way whilst writing, but it was invaluable for keeping accurate records. In the early stages whilst reading I would copy all notes into the 'notes' section for each reference; I still refer to these notes now.

-I have a printer (I'm actually on my third!) and couldn't manage without it. I did 40 interviews and printed each transcript as I couldn't analyse them directly on my computer; I took some to a coffee shop to analyse, others I analysed in the sofa/in bed/in the garden etc! So my printer was essential. Not to mention multiple drafts I printed for editing...oh and I actually printed my thesis for submission with my own printer! This is very helpful if you plan to work from home; I never worked at uni.

- I have a PC; I started off with a laptop but found that it was very slow after having Endnote/multiple drafts/internet etc running all at the same time. So I treated myself to one. I also have an Ipad but very rarely use it for any work, that's all done on my PC.

-I never used quantitative methods throughout my PhD; I avoided them actually! So it may be a good idea to read a general qualitative book. But to be honest, there will be plenty of time for reading etc once you've started.

Good luck!