To do or not to do?

P

How much do you usually spend on accomodation? I'm not familiar with the english ways of payment so:
- how are the scholarships payed? monthly? weekly?
- Is a 400£ per month rent expensive?
- 600£ per month is enough to survive? excluding accomodation, of course...
Just give an idea os this please, I'm trying to make some domestic maths.
Thanks a lot

P

It depends where in the country you are & what your additional outgoings are aside from rent.
Don't want to worry you but I hope you aren't going to have to try and live of £600 per month in London!

P

Not in London. I know it is almost the most expensive city in the world!
I was thinking of Norwich.
I'm applying for a PhD there and the fund is 12000£ year, that is 1000£ month, if I spend 400£ with accomodation that leaves me 600£/month left. will it be enough?
how do you PhD students manage to live? I don't have any familiar supports, so I'm on my own. Is it feasible?

T

I am starting a PhD in Norwich in a couple of weeks.

I have a house sharing with 3 other students and its £250 a month for me.. When I was house hunting the average looked to be around £50-£60 a week for a room.

A

I live in Birmingham, and also get 1000£ per month, stay in dorm - 6o£ per week, easily manage to spend only 500-600£ per month. But then again, I hate clubbing and don't go out a lot.

C

I reckon you can live on £100p/wk, but only if you don't go out a lot. Or at all. When I do go out, it ruins everything!! So £600 per month would allow you extras to do some fun things a couple of times a month, especially if its a 4 week month! However, I do sponge off my folks for clothes and stuff. Rather pathetic, I know.

S

Before I leave London to start, I've been stocking up on cheap clothes (i think I'm past the designer labels, this year's style phase). Four umbro T shirts for a tenner at the sports shop in Oxford Street. Lonsdale trackie bottoms for £7. Cheap skate that I am! That said, I might have to spend some decent cash on going out clothes.