Too late to start a PhD?

N

Hi.

I have a research idea (in wildlife conservation) and have had numerous discussions with lecturers about turning the idea into a PhD study. Feedback on the proposed project has been very good, but now (10 July) I am concerned that I will be unable to start the study in the coming academic year due to potentially having missed a lot of the funding opportunities.

What are your honest thoughts on this? Should I have a break from it for the time being and try again next year, or is it not too late to start this coming year? My supervisors will be from UK institutions and say that it may be possible (depending on funding) to start early next year - do you think this would hinder my project by missing September/October to December/January?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments. :-)

K

With your PhD you don't need to start in September. It's quite common to start September, or in January of after easter it's not really an undergrad term kinda thing.

I'd say make sure you've officially got a place offer from these lecturers then apply to funders. When you get finding you can start at an appropriate time and off you go!

N

Hi Kizzy.

Thanks for your help! I was conscious that I may be compromising my project by starting it 'late', but if it's not a problem when I start, that is great! Thank you! :-)

N

Thanks everyone for your contribution to the poll! I'll keep on the look out for funding opportunities! :)

Y

======= Date Modified 15 Jul 2010 16:33:00 =======
Hi

I missed the Jan 2010 deadlines, when my OH broke his leg with serious complications. Was pretty gutted, and resigned myself to waiting another year. Then out of the blue, a funded collaborative award cropped up, in June, and I've just heard today that I'm the successful candidate So if you have the time/energy to invest in continuing your funding quest, then go for it.