Transcription software anyone?

N

I have finally started data collection and I am transcribing my first (three hour!) interview at the moment, and it is taking me forever! I definitely want to do it all myself because the methodology I am using requires me to be reflexive, and I am finding it very useful to go back to the interviews and remember them as I transcribe them. But it would be useful if it didn't take so long, as I am also working on chapters and a conference abstract! I overheard people in the office last week talking about transcription software, does anyone else use this? At the moment I am just using my voice recorder and typing it up in Word.

Or does anyone else have any other suggestions to speed up the process a bit?

Thanks, Natassia :-)

D

Personally I think unless you have masses of interviews, it's best to transcribe them yourself. I found initially it took me ages to transcribe, but I got quicker. It saves having to listen to them again, which you would have to do otherwise.

M

======= Date Modified 02 Sep 2012 15:27:47 =======
I've been using Transcription Buddy (recommended by somebody on here). It allows you to slow down the recording, put pauses in, step back etc. You can download the software as a free trial.

I've still got a few hours of interviews to transcribe - it does take ages, but, like you, I'm finding the process really helpful for analysis. :-)

F

Nvivo is great

I use Audacity, free software for sound recording and playback.

S

I use F4 which is pretty cheap to download and good - allows you to slow the recording, spool back as much as you like etc. Also couldn't recommend enough getting a foot pedal - made it so much easier and faster - I got mine from ebay for about £15.