transfer questioning....harsh times!

A

hi guys, i had my transfer recently and i dont know what to think. i was already quite doubtful about continuing my phd....ive been told that my report was written well and that my talk went ok but then came the questions section. the people that were at it were quite harsh in their questioning...it wasnt an "im interested in what your doing" kinda questioning...it was more like i want to catch u out and make you look a joke questioning. i dont know what i expect you guys to say cause i know that it trains you in defending your work...but then again im only less than a year through my phd and am still finding my feet. guess i just want some comments?!

U

The purpose of the transfer is to ensure that you'll pass two/three years down the line. They have to be harsh for this reason. These safeguards are a good idea so be thankful that they are testing your work and future plans in depth.

After my tranfer I thought the examiner was a complete b'stard, but I now realize he was just doing his job properly.

Would you prefer they just say well done and pat you on the head for you to go on the same way and then fail after three years?

All these experiences help you become tough-skinned, which is an essential trait for a researcher, unfortunately?

J

get used to it. that's how uk universities operate.

i hated it last year coz i was defensive. this year i just went with the flow. i wasn't defensive at all and it worked out. no one is trying to catch you out. its about your work not you. try to see it that way.

best,
J.

J

oh, i forgot to say sorry you had to go through that. it's part of phd life.

C

ashpan, UFO and jojo have both given valid comments. Like jojo pointed out, its about your work, its got be tested somehow, whether harsh or not. Besides, you're the one who knows more about what you've done, so just show potray that knowledge to them. I've been in that same boat before (not PhD) then i felt that my assessor was trying to catch me out but all i had to do was demonstrate my knowledge and it was fine. Best wishes

C

Apologies for using words that meant the same thing there 'show potray' - choose one