Translating, Transcribing and the PhD

R

I am currently looking for someone to translate some German documents using an advert as I cannot afford the prohibitively expensive professional transcription services (unless someone knows any different) and I'm unsure of how to effectively recruit someone to do this. I have pretty much done the advert and asked people to quote how much they want for the translation - but how do I assess quality when I don't even speak the language. Do I just give the work to the person with the lowest quote? How do I even pay them - cheque? Paypal? lol

I've also spent half the day ensuring that I am following the Employment legislation on advertising.

It's such a minefield!

Any thoughts? Anyone had to out-source translation or transcription?

:-(

W

Could you not use some translation software, such as Systran or even Google translator? Or does the translation need to be much more detailed than just general stuff, such as discourse analysis?

R

Well because I have an upcoming interview with someone who wrote the document, I wanted to be fully prepared to ask questions based on this. If I don't get any replies - I'll have to use Google translate alone.

M

Why are you looking at employment legislation? Just have them freelance and invoice you for their time.

I had this same problem with a German text, but decided the cost was too prohibitive to warrant the translation. I was later told I wasn't expected to disseminate foreign texts into my PhD (unless they are absolutely crucial texts).

I also had a shorter document that I needed to translating, and phoned the languages department in the university and asked them to find someone who would be willing to do a translation job. Someone got back and was happy to help (in the mean time I had muddled through with my rusty French). If I needed to hire someone, I would have got the PhD/postgrad administrator in the languages department to do a mail shot to postgrad german students. They are less likely to do a crap job if you go via the university.

W

If it proves too expensive to get you documents translated by anexpert, I own a copy of Systran 6.0 which I used to translate someforeign journal articles from Springer-Verlag. It proved to be reallyaccurate and very simple, so if you want I can upload it for you todownload and use. Good luck.

R

======= Date Modified 27 Aug 2008 17:20:30 =======
======= Date Modified 27 Aug 2008 17:19:58 =======
MissSpacey: That's actually a really good idea that I really hadn't thought of - I've just realised (checking their website) that we have a German department here!

Thanks for your help - I'm emailing them now (up)

I'm feeling incredibly stupid that I have wasted half a day trying to dream up an advert though!

walminskipeas: I'll check out Systrans too as nobody might be able to help in the department. Thanks for your help.