Trying to find a high paid job, is it really worth it ?

G

======= Date Modified 19 Jul 2011 00:01:08 =======
======= Date Modified 18 Jul 2011 23:59:04 =======

Ok I am not far away from submitting (I hope ! ), anyway when my funding first ran out last year I moved back to my parents to write my thesis, while I was doing this I must have applied for at least 100 jobs, you know the usual types of job, first postdoc positions (could not get one as I dont have enough experience) and then graduate jobs ( could not get one as I was too experienced), to be honest it was nice to get a reply at all from the ones I applied for. Anyway getting sick of applying for these positions I decided to apply for a postman job ( I should add that I did not mention my qualifications in my application), and I got it ! and to be honest I am that sick of getting rejected for so called PhD and graduate level positions, that I am seriously thinking about just sticking with the postman job.
I never really wanted to do a PhD or any of my degree's so that I could get a high paid job, I did them so that I could learn about my subject, especially first degree, and get a job I enjoyed doing. Now that I don't think I can get the type of job that I originally did my degrees for, I just dont think I can be bothered to continue looking for or indeed like doing a job in industry or academia. At the minute a job like a postman is quite attractive to me, enough money to get by, no pressure, no stress, set times of work, out in the fresh air and meeting people instead of being stuck in an office in front of a computer. I guess all this rejection I have experienced in the job market has made me look for alternative careers and from what I see these have a lot more benefits (money aside) than the so called high paid high stress careers.

So I think I will go through my viva, really not that bothered if I pass or not, and then put it all behind me.

C

Good for you Gudwin

I quite agree with you in many ways, I now have the PhD and a post-doc job and therefore reasonable money coming in etc, but at the same time i'm stressed as anything and have very little time to do much, or many friends outside of work. All in all I think I would probably be better off with something like you have. I was'nt thinking postman specifically, my initial thought was something like working as a youth hostel assistant, something where you get accomodation thrown in, so you don't have to worry about the bills too much, but merely accept limited income. My contract is up in 16 months and i'm sorely tempted to do what you are doing. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

ATB, Cakeman

D

Gudwin,

You could be like some of us on here and are feeling tired, disillusioned and worried about the job market. I do think sometimes it's good to take a break and do something different as this can give perspective and help us know what we want or don't want. Do what you think you need to do and try to do what makes you happy. Just my opinion, but I don't think this postman job is a bad way to go for many of the reasons you've given and if you like it that's fantastic but don't burn your bridges with academia as you may get a second wind and decide this is for you.

You've worked very hard to get to this stage and so keeping trying with the aim of passing your viva as it would be best to keep your options open.

J

Hi.  I started a phd last year and will most likely will not finish it. I have learned that many people in academia do not enjoy their jobs and I know friends on high and low salaries and many are happier in lower.  I have read various books on happiness and being content is key and family and friends.

I know a few people in senior positions who are very unhappy and always want to achievers more.

Do what you enjoy and keep me posted how you get on.  Even a while being a postman will give you thinking time and exercise at the same time.

We only get one life so do what makes you happy and have a laugh - for me as a phd student I didn't get enough if them.

======= Date Modified 20 Jul 2011 08:14:41 =======
I've never been one to measure success with salary, I know people who are on over £400k and it doesn't make them happy. For me though, I need a job that can challenge me slightly or at least that I can enjoy the company of my colleagues, if I can have one of those then I'm happy. My worry with the postman job would be, would you want to be doing it in 5, 10 years? will you get stuck in a rut with it? and will you regret not giving academia or a job related to your PhD a go?

S

======= Date Modified 20 Jul 2011 09:26:57 =======
I see where you are coming from, in fact, if I wasn't getting married etc I'd probably be doing something with some similarities. I'd probably pack a bag and leave the country and just travel about for as long as I fancied. No route or plan, just work as you go in hostels, bars etc to get the money then off for a bit longer. I've met people who have done this for a few years. At some point you may find that you're happy somewhere and then you stop and settle down somewhere doing whatever you fancy. Make sure you pass your viva, you never know when the PhD may come in useful in say 20 years!

All the best to you, I hope you find something you enjoy.