Trying to quit smoking

X

Can anyone suggest some mega funny clips on YouTube? I need something to make me have a proper larf. I'm talking a real gutteral laugh where you can't catch your breath and tears start streaming down your face. I officially quit smoking on Monday (though I have unofficially had 3 cigarettes since) but I've been such a moody git since. I've actually resigned myself to not leaving the house until I'm in a better mood. I'm so out of control right now!!! God how I long for one puff, just one!!!!!!

X

I'm actually going through a stressful time right now trying to write up a piece. I'm not sure if this is the greatest time to quit. I find it such a comfort to take fag breaks while I'm writing. Anyone else smoke? Any suggestions???

S

eee, ive just had one, makes me help to think, though i guess it's not the advise you are looking for. but once u manage to stick with it after some time your energy levels will soar. so they say:-p good luck!!!!

B

I know what you mean- I don't smoke much, but its a real crutch when im stressed, or have lots of writing to do. I know its really nasty habit, but I find that 5 minutes to myself having a cigarette is enough to save my sanity.
I've also tried to quit several times during my phd- I always tell myself its just the stress and once im done ill give up- but actually I doubt whether there really is a good time, its always going to be hard.
Also I love the way you refer to them as 'unofficial' cigarettes.....ever the smokers reasoning :)

X

Hehe, yup, that sure is smoker's reasoning I exhibited there My friend laughed at me when I told him I wasn't sure this was the right time to quit, said I would find any excuse under the sun to have another cigarette. I'm not sure what the theories are on finding the right time to quit. Am I using 'smoker's reasoning' yet again when I say it's not the right time because of the stress of writing up, or is it valid? Oh, what a web we weave! Do you see what I'm doing here--I'm actually trying to talk myself into having one! What a nasty little addiction (but oh so nice!)

E

Hats off to you xeno, I couldn't do it! Although I've had to cut down considerably since my 'episode'. Have you had a massive go at anyone yet? I was a nightmare when I tried to quit a couple of years ago.

B

I've always got a reason why its ok to have one....like i'm stressed, its only because im drinking, its a friday........the excuses I come up with when I want one make me chuckle, because I can really convince myself of anything.
Although- I'm pretty sure being stressed doesnt help the giving up process, especially if you use cigarettes as a bit of a stress reliever. So there probably is a right and wrong time if you're really stressed at the moment, but don't expect to be in a few months....hmm.....maybe I'm starting to use my smokers logic....

B

I'm a smoker and have been considering giving up recently. I can certainly see where you're coming from about the stress when writing up. I tried to give up about a month ago, but found that I was overwhelmed with constant crying fits and extreme mood swings. Having said that, when will the right time come along? Like the rest of us smokers, I could make an endless list of reasons NOT to give up. Xeno have you actually found it difficult to concentrate on your work since giving up?

S

I finally quit when I was pregnant. That gave me the motivation I needed - could you try that....

C

Xeno - can I suggest this Icelandic kids song from a show called 'Latabæ' (Lazytown). The song is called 'Kokkabókin' (Cook book)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22mBK6eBXKg&feature=related

It should make you laugh - or perhaps need another cig!