Turn down an accepted offer

S

======= Date Modified 14 50 2009 04:50:17 =======
Hey everybody, though about posting here to get some advice if somebody's done the same thing previously...

Basically, it's quite a silly story..I've started a PhD last autumn, and after some months of initial uncertainty, I decided, probably too impulsively, that it wasn't for me and applied for an alternative one.
After having received a quite generous offer from my alternative (that I've - again fairly impulsively - promptly accepted) months have passed, things have radically changed, and at the moment I'm not really sure I want to leave my current PhD anymore. Would it be completely crazy to turn the new offer down now that I've formally acccepted it?

F

Unless you have signed papers or a contract, there is nothing that really ties you to the new offer. Supervisors are used to students accepting their offers then never showing up, you won't be the first nor the last to do so. What you need to evaluate are the pros and cons of staying in your current PhD. Would you have to start anew/from scratch with the alternative option? Is the alternative PhD something you REALLY want? You don't want to start a new PhD then find yourself stuck in something you also don't enjoy.