UCL PhD might go wrong....should I apply for backup PhD?

R

I have something bugging me. I have been offered a PhD by my current MSc supervisor at UCL. Its great and I said yes. But they asked me quite late and are only just submitting an application for a grant/funding from MRC/Wellcome. So we won't hear until possibly December whether we have the money. I'm quite confident they can get it as they're a very good research group and quite popular with lots of money. But what if I get a streak of bad luck and it doesn't work out? I'll be stuck taking a year out? Should I, this autumn, apply for other PhDs starting in 2008? Can you state in an application form the reason for the year out was because of an unfortunate circumstance regarding funding for a different PhD?

Also, isn't there a certain time by which new PhD students should register in 2007? Would that be a problem? I know nothing about this whole process and its not easy to talk to my supervisors about it because, well, they're not so talkative lol!

Eeek. I don't want to get a job for a year!

S

Yes you should apply for other PhDs just in case this one doesnt work out, though I hope this one works out for you.Some PhDs start in january so you could apply for a few PhDs that start in january 2008.

S

i guess it depends a bit if you want to do "any old PhD", that is, if you really want a PhD and the topic is only secondary, or if you are interested in that specific project. In other words, is it the interesting project that makes you want to do a PhD, or is it wanting to do a PhD that led you to that project. In the former case, maybe a backup PhD is not such a good idea, or, only if you find another one that you really find equally interesting. In the latter case, you should definitely go for a backup since otherwise you might end up without a PhD.

R

Thanks, thats a really good point. I hope it didnt seem like a silly question, but I find big decisions so hard to make! Thanks for puting it into perspective. I guess I only really want this one as I like the topic. Worst comes to worst they say they may emply me as research ast. and then try again. I suppose I won't apply for others....for now anyway.

Thanks again.